Chinese Laser Engraver

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mecompco

Rich, we are talking about an $87 machine (laser). Temper expectations relative to "quality" results/price. As they say YMMV.

So if you sell an engraved pen to a customer and they ask why some of the letters are missing, crooked, misshapen, or illegible, you can tell them it's because you used an $87 dollar laser and that's the best it can do. They'll say that's okay? I know these are experiments, but I don't understand the enthusiasm based on some of the results shown. If everything shown was perfect, heck I would plunk down the $87.

You've been turning pens for many years. How did your first pens turn out? I've probably spent an hour or two total with the engraver. Yes, there is a learning curve. :biggrin:

Regards,
Michael

Can't see how my turning skills and abilities compares to using a computer controlled machine. Missing and illegible text shouldn't take skills to correct. I've never seen that issue before with a laser engraver. That's my point. At this price point you really get what you pay for. For several hundred more, you'll get all the text that you have on the screen. You might still have a lot of issues with no support from the supplier, but you get all the letters burnt in if it fires. Maybe you guys are saying it's a celebration that it even fires? That should be a given if you buy something.

OK, I give up--you win. You're right. Perhaps you'd rather participate in the 40 Watt laser engraver thread?

Regards,
Michael

Last edited:

Carl Fisher

This thread degraded pretty quick.

There is in fact a learning curve to any laser machine. Ask any engraver and you're likely to find that they have a reference book of power and feed rates for all sorts of materials. And at that, bone may engrave at a different power or feed rate from antler or from horn, etc...

Same with wood. Some woods will engrave slow while others will burn quick.

Yes a $90 machine will have limitations but that doesn't mean it's completely worthless and I for one can't wait to see what people come up with using them.

Bob in SF

I again thank Michael for starting this thread (and surprised the thread has gotten a bit edgy).

This simply-lettered Chinese 1 watt laser-engraved gift pen to honor my daughter's mastery of Ruby on Rails (web application framework development software) in her tech company brought in 4 prepaid orders in a 6 hour time frame - intense "penvy" among her peers:
attachment.php

No, it's not a high end engraver - but it has more than paid for itself already.

My background includes 30+ years of hand engraving - so I do know a little about the old school of scratching down information and imagery without electricity.
Here's a copper hand engraved/chased/repoussed/liver of sulfur patina-finished banded butterfly fish commission for a California Academy of Sciences scientist - 3+ hours of thumb-wracking work, 4x6":
attachment.php

(yes, I also have pneumatic tools, but the commission was for hand engraving)

I impulse-bought this little Chinese engraver with an open mind (and thanks to Michael's thread) in order to complement unique pens and other art pieces - no great expectations, but ample fun on a shoestring.

Warm regards to all laser combatants and adventurers.

- Bob

Attachments

• LeeRailsPen,ChineseLaserEngraved.jpg
    LeeRailsPen,ChineseLaserEngraved.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 666
  • ButterflyFish,handengraved,markison,2012.jpg
    ButterflyFish,handengraved,markison,2012.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 661

Erik831

Hey Bob, I bought the engraver last week and paid expedited shipping and is still showing as processing order. Is this normal?

Bob in SF

Hi Erik - I ordered mine non-expedited on 5/5/16 - delivered here in San Francisco on 5/14/16 = 9 days.

You might wait another day or 2, then contact them (you should have order number info, etc. in your email from them confirming your purchase).

This was my first order via GearBest, so I don't have past experience.

Hope yours arrives soon. - Bob

mecompco

Hey Bob, I bought the engraver last week and paid expedited shipping and is still showing as processing order. Is this normal?

Erik, I've ordered three times from Gearbest. Expedited the first time took 11 days. Non-expedited the second time took 25 days. This last time for the laser took five days. Not much rhyme or reason to it, but they have always delivered. Oh, and the "tracking" doesn't seem to change until delivery.

Regards,
Michael

mecompco

Bob, that is awesome that you've already paid for the machine! And you're fish engraving is wonderful--thanks for sharing that.

Glad we're back on a positive track! :)

Regards,
Michael

Akula

Thank you for posting the test of the antler. Based off that image result, I got one coming now. I have some ideas and they all involve antler so this will/should be perfect.

mecompco

Thank you for posting the test of the antler. Based off that image result, I got one coming now. I have some ideas and they all involve antler so this will/should be perfect.

Awesome! As to my test example, of course better results can be achieved. Even though this is an electronic device, one must consider the image being burned, the material being burned and the available adjustments (laser focal point and burn time (the amount of time the laser spends on each pixel).

A largish graphic on a curved surface will likely be degraded towards the outside of the image, as shown in my example due to the change in the focal point of the beam. I'm currently busy burning my logo on 1.5" flat wooden circles for use as pen tags or whatever and the (relatively) large image is coming out great.

Let us know when your device arrives.

Regards,
Michael

Nick Rocco

Awesome! As to my test example, of course better results can be achieved. Even though this is an electronic device, one must consider the image being burned, the material being burned and the available adjustments (laser focal point and burn time (the amount of time the laser spends on each pixel).

A largish graphic on a curved surface will likely be degraded towards the outside of the image, as shown in my example due to the change in the focal point of the beam. I'm currently busy burning my logo on 1.5" flat wooden circles for use as pen tags or whatever and the (relatively) large image is coming out great.

Let us know when your device arrives.

Regards,
Michael

Michael,
Would you be willing to post up a couple of pictures of your pen tags? My laser just arrived and that is exactly what I was planning to use it for. I am looking forward to trying it out this weekend.
Thanks,
NR

Turned Around

One thing I have yet to hear about is the approximate life span of this thing. Replacing it would still be cheaper than replacing just the CO2 tube on a larger machine. Your idea of tags is great, but how many can it do before the machine goes out? I'm still planning on getting one, but the talk so far has been about the image quality (which I'm fine with) and test results, but nothing on the lifespan of the machine.

DigBaddy72

I have sold two pens with engraving on it. I did have to go through two blanks in order to get it right. For some reason the engraver was off-setting the first row of pixels. This only happened on the first burn. Not sure if I should be concerned or not. This is another reason why I have numerous "test" blanks turned for various sized pens.

Carl Fisher

Offset during printing is usually the result of the timing belts skipping or the steppers missing a step.

Now since these NEJE are based on optical drive chassis I'm not sure if there is a belt or not. I'm guessing on first print something had to "seat" back into place after shipping.

mecompco

Offset during printing is usually the result of the timing belts skipping or the steppers missing a step.

Now since these NEJE are based on optical drive chassis I'm not sure if there is a belt or not. I'm guessing on first print something had to "seat" back into place after shipping.

Just had a peek at mine--no belts. The stepper motors drive a "screw" type assembly. IDK why it would offset some pixels. I have been always having it go back to "Origin" before starting a burn.

mecompco

One thing I have yet to hear about is the approximate life span of this thing. Replacing it would still be cheaper than replacing just the CO2 tube on a larger machine. Your idea of tags is great, but how many can it do before the machine goes out? I'm still planning on getting one, but the talk so far has been about the image quality (which I'm fine with) and test results, but nothing on the lifespan of the machine.

I have no idea at all. I'm sure the two optical drive mechanisms are reliable (in over 25 years in IT, I can't recall more than a couple optical drives biting the dust).

As to the laser, well, I'm sure there is a duty cycle it can handle. I'm thinking a best practice would be to keep the "burn number" down as much as you can while getting the desired results and not keep it running continuously.

As you said, it is more-or-less disposable. I do imagine replacing the laser head wouldn't be too much of a problem.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Mythbusted

I recently received my 1000mW laser engraver. One of the things I wanted to explore was to see if there was a way to engrave plastics with these. I am pursuing 2 methods.

The first is to put an additive into the plastic which will absorb the laser. This concept has been used for years in the laser marking industry. I thought of several I might try when a light bulb went off and said why not try sawdust? If these can mark wood, certainly sawdust should work. This was my first attempt - a 72 point font with about 70% setting on the power. Material is epoxy with sawdust and a few drops of white Mixol pigment.
attachment.php

My second idea was to apply something over the plastic that would burn and hopefully have enough heat to make it into the plastic. For this trial I used an Avery label and adhered it to a blank of white PR I had cast a long time ago. Although there is only a partial image - not sure what happened, I think this method too holds some promise. It is a permanent image. Just need the right type of paper, perhaps held on with a temporary spray adhesive. Power setting for this was about 85%.
attachment.php

A little too hot in the shop now, but perhaps some others can play with these techniques to refine. One of the other additives I want to try is cellulose powder. May also be a good use for Metamucil.

Can't engrave plastics with this laser - busted!

Attachments

• Epoxy Sawdust.JPG
    Epoxy Sawdust.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 674
  • PR Label.JPG
    PR Label.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 679

jsolie

Hi Erik - I ordered mine non-expedited on 5/5/16 - delivered here in San Francisco on 5/14/16 = 9 days.

You might wait another day or 2, then contact them (you should have order number info, etc. in your email from them confirming your purchase).

This was my first order via GearBest, so I don't have past experience.

Hope yours arrives soon. - Bob

Good to know that I'm not the only one puzzling over the shipping of an engraver. Mine has gone from Southern California to Nevada to Sacramento to pretty close to where I live to Flushing, NY. I reached out to GearBest after 11 days, and they mentioned that the estimated shipping time is "5-15 days"

i-BPqBvrQ-L.jpg

pianomanpj

I recently received my 1000mW laser engraver. One of the things I wanted to explore was to see if there was a way to engrave plastics with these. I am pursuing 2 methods.

The first is to put an additive into the plastic which will absorb the laser. This concept has been used for years in the laser marking industry. I thought of several I might try when a light bulb went off and said why not try sawdust? If these can mark wood, certainly sawdust should work. This was my first attempt - a 72 point font with about 70% setting on the power. Material is epoxy with sawdust and a few drops of white Mixol pigment.
attachment.php

My second idea was to apply something over the plastic that would burn and hopefully have enough heat to make it into the plastic. For this trial I used an Avery label and adhered it to a blank of white PR I had cast a long time ago. Although there is only a partial image - not sure what happened, I think this method too holds some promise. It is a permanent image. Just need the right type of paper, perhaps held on with a temporary spray adhesive. Power setting for this was about 85%.
attachment.php

A little too hot in the shop now, but perhaps some others can play with these techniques to refine. One of the other additives I want to try is cellulose powder. May also be a good use for Metamucil.

Can't engrave plastics with this laser - busted!

Bruce,

Perhaps if you color the label black first it may absorb more of the light waves and generate more heat.

sbwertz

Has anyone tried this laser engraver? I know it is a bit of an overkill for pen engraving but I like the higher power and larger work space if I ever needed it in the future. My only concern is that it is Windows 7 compatible but not Windows 10 and I am not sure if the backwards compatibility feature of Windows 10 will cover it. The seller said that it is NOT windows 10 compatible.

40W USB DIY Laser ENGRAVER Cutter Engraving Cutting Machine Laser Printer CO2 | eBay

Maybe the answer is to keep a laptop or old desktop on win7. They are supporting win7 for six more years. I am keeping one computer on win7 just for those programs that will not support 10. If you run gwx control panel it will prevent MS from updating your computer whether you want it to or not!

You can do a lot of engraving in six years!

mecompco

sbwertz

I'm not familiar with never10, but one of the features of gwx control panel is that you can turn it back on if you do decide to upgrade after all. It also allows you to choose from a list of things you want to do....stop the nagging upgrade notices, stop the drive-by stealth upgrade, delete already downloaded win 10 files, etc.

mecompco

I'm not familiar with never10, but one of the features of gwx control panel is that you can turn it back on if you do decide to upgrade after all. It also allows you to choose from a list of things you want to do....stop the nagging upgrade notices, stop the drive-by stealth upgrade, delete already downloaded win 10 files, etc.

Sharon, I should have mentioned that Never10 also allows you to re-enable the upgrade should you wish. Not that there's anything at all wrong with GWX! :)

duncsuss

AVG Antivirus complained so loudly about the driver software for this thing, I have no intention of connecting the laptop I'm using to my network.

The Windows 10 install will not happen until Microsoft figure out a way to push software to a computer that isn't on the net :biggrin:

fisherhahn

So I finally got it! I set everything up downloaded the driver and software no problem. When I try to drag and drop an image I keep getting the same error message--Sorry Wrong File type. I tried with file types jpg, gif, png and nothing works. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver. tried my old desktop but I think it is too old and it could not find the device. I'm at a loss I don't know what to try next. Anyone else have issues getting started?

mecompco

So I finally got it! I set everything up downloaded the driver and software no problem. When I try to drag and drop an image I keep getting the same error message--Sorry Wrong File type. I tried with file types jpg, gif, png and nothing works. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver. tried my old desktop but I think it is too old and it could not find the device. I'm at a loss I don't know what to try next. Anyone else have issues getting started?

Hmmm--weird! What OS are you using? Don't think .gifs will work, but both .jpgs and .pngs should be fine. Does the device show up as connected in the pane on the left side of the software? It should show a log as to connections, sending images to the device, etc.

fisherhahn

I'm running windows 10. it does show that Successfully connected to the engraving machine. I am able to move the head using the up down left and right buttons. After I get the error message I've tried hitting the send image to machine button and it pulls up some preset cartoon image. I emailed the manufacturer but can't figure out what else to try.

mecompco

Well, my engraver got delivered. To someone in Inwood, NY. Note that I live in Murrieta, CA. Guys, be careful with GearBest.

That bites! All three of my orders from gearbest were delivered correctly and in a reasonable amount of time. I hope they are helping you out. Please keep us informed.

Regards,
Michael

Sorry to hear that John. I was beginning to fear mine would be mis-delivered or lost as well - after watching USPS give it the tour of California, it finally arrived at my house 3+ weeks after I ordered with "expedited shipping". I think this is a USPS issue, unless GearBest mislabeled your package. Let us know what they do for you.

mecompco

I'm running windows 10. it does show that Successfully connected to the engraving machine. I am able to move the head using the up down left and right buttons. After I get the error message I've tried hitting the send image to machine button and it pulls up some preset cartoon image. I emailed the manufacturer but can't figure out what else to try.

Any luck yet? I don't have a 10 machine handy, but in previous Windows versions, if you right-click the icon for the program, you will have an option to "Troubleshoot Compatibilty" or words to that effect. Try that, and run the laser software in Windows 7 mode. I have a program at work that will not run on 8.1 or 10 machines w/o running in 7 compatibility mode.

Regards,
Michael

mecompco

Sorry to hear that John. I was beginning to fear mine would be mis-delivered or lost as well - after watching USPS give it the tour of California, it finally arrived at my house 3+ weeks after I ordered with "expedited shipping". I think this is a USPS issue, unless GearBest mislabeled your package. Let us know what they do for you.

Glad it arrived safely. FWIW, 3 weeks is still better than non-expedited shipping times.

jsolie

That bites! All three of my orders from gearbest were delivered correctly and in a reasonable amount of time. I hope they are helping you out. Please keep us informed.

Regards,
Michael

I'm not sure how much they're helping out at this point. I'll probably have to dispute the charge with my bank.

Will do. It's last "event" in California (West Sacramento) was "Shipping Exception." Never a good thing. It spent time in California, Nevada, back to California, down to San Bernardino which is about 40 or so miles away, then off to New York, then back to Sacramento, then back to two different places in New York. :mad:

Are there any other vendors who sell these engravers?

mecompco

Regards,
Michael

I'm not sure how much they're helping out at this point. I'll probably have to dispute the charge with my bank.

Will do. It's last "event" in California (West Sacramento) was "Shipping Exception." Never a good thing. It spent time in California, Nevada, back to California, down to San Bernardino which is about 40 or so miles away, then off to New York, then back to Sacramento, then back to two different places in New York. :mad:

Are there any other vendors who sell these engravers?

There's a bunch on eBay from various sellers--all in China. I can't vouch for gearbest's practices other than to note that I've ordered from them three times w/no problems, and everyone else here got their orders. Hey, I've had FEDEX lose a shipment and refuse to accept responsibility. I'm sure it's the shipping companies fault. But, still, you're out your money and your engraver, so I understand the frustration!

fisherhahn

Any luck yet? I don't have a 10 machine handy, but in previous Windows versions, if you right-click the icon for the program, you will have an option to "Troubleshoot Compatibilty" or words to that effect. Try that, and run the laser software in Windows 7 mode. I have a program at work that will not run on 8.1 or 10 machines w/o running in 7 compatibility mode.

So I tried troubleshoot compatibility and tried running in windows 7 and 8 with no luck. I'm wondering if the problem is with the software they sent me. Would you, or anyone who has been successful, be willing to let me mail a formatted SD card to copy the software and send back to me? I can't see the problem being with the machine itself as the only part thing that won't work is dragging and dropping pics. No response yet from the manufacturer...

mecompco

So I tried troubleshoot compatibility and tried running in windows 7 and 8 with no luck. I'm wondering if the problem is with the software they sent me. Would you, or anyone who has been successful, be willing to let me mail a formatted SD card to copy the software and send back to me? I can't see the problem being with the machine itself as the only part thing that won't work is dragging and dropping pics. No response yet from the manufacturer...

I can email you a copy of my .exe, if you like. Just PM me your addy.

Regards,
Michael

ssalvage

Well, my engraver got delivered. To someone in Inwood, NY. Note that I live in Murrieta, CA. Guys, be careful with GearBest.

I feel your pain. Here's my saga...

I ordered mine on 5/20 and paid for expedited shipping (estimated 4 - 7 business days).

11 days later (business day #6) on 5/31, I get an email that it has shipped... Ummm OK?? They are gonna have to really hustle to get it to me overnight! :laugh: (They were also kind enough to include a blurry picture of a shipping label that appears to have my name and address on it).
I eagerly check the tracking status, and I get "shipment was not found." I attempt to confirm the tracking number provided with the "blurry picture" which looks like it is correct... but maybe not??? I left it alone, assuming it may take a day or so to enter the tracking database.

6/1 - E[xpedited] D[elivery]-day. Was not shocked in the least bit when the package was not delivered. I guess my extra 8 dollars wasn't as persuasive as I thought.

As of today 6/2 - E D-day+1, I have checked my tracking status, and am happy to report "shipment was not found." ...actually, wait. I guess I am not really happy about that. :tongue:

Oh well, I guess I'll give it a few days and see what happens before I complain to GearBest, but once it arrives I will very politely insist that they refund my "expedited" shipping. :laugh:

The thing I find most odd, is that I assumed it would be shipping from China. If the information they gave me is correct, it actually shipped from the Netherlands???

ssalvage

Regards,
Michael

Just a tip... You may want to upload this to Dropbox or something similar, then email a link to it instead. I don't know of a single email system anymore that won't zap an exe file that gets attached.

fisherhahn

Regards,
Michael

PM sent. Thanks for taking the time!

Top Bottom