TBC Tool Rest Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghansen4

For those of you that TBC, what size tool rest do you use? Because of the shape of my dead and live centers I can't get my tool rest close enough to the piece that I'm turning. Because I'm not using any bushings the distance between the centers is basically the length of whatever tube I'm turning. I'm planning to order a new tool rest from Rick, but it seems like a waste to order a 2" tool rest. However, much longer than that I won't be able to get close enough when turning one barrel from a two barrel pen. Suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edman2

Local Chapter Leader
I first used Rick's 3" rest and then ordered a 4" rest.The four inch helped with long barrel one piece pens. Rick makes great tools!

magpens

You can get a dead center and a live center with reduced size pointed (60*) tip extensions.

However, they are hellishly expensive.

I suggest you just suck it up and buy the 2" tool rest from Rick, as well as a longer tool rest to suit your other requirements. You can't beat Rick for quality.

Maybe you can buy just the rest itself without the support "stub" that mates with your banjo.

Mr Vic

It depends on the lathe and what's available. For my Jet 1014VS I purchased a second 4" tool rest and cut an inch off each end. I think it was about $16 back then.

Of course if you have the bucks one of Rick's would be great. A stock tool rest can acquire nicks and dents which you need to clean up with a file from time to time.

Top Bottom