Wild Idea - Name Change

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Originally posted by redfishsc

Originally posted by RussFairfield

The word "Pencrafter" saw some use everal years ago. I still prefer "Pencrafter", but think I am the only one who uses that word.

After folks read your post, I can with confidence say "not for long you aren't the only one"

I jump on the wagon first. After seeing a few explanations with Russ and Scott included. Pencrafters does sound pretty good. Penturners could still be used to redirect people to the site. Just my 2 cents. So I will change my vote to whatever those powers that be think is best.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Just to add my 2¢, I think it is fine as it is; bum if a change were to be contemplated in the future, my vote would go to some variation of pencrafter.

I don't really care either way, but I think that 'turning' is just one of the steps we use. As we progress, we add other steps too.
Sometimes a pen may not have any turned parts in it.

We often mix our own resins,
segment our woods
drill the holes
turn the blank
sand and finish the blank
assemble the pen.

When we start adding doing closed ended styles, threading, doing non-round shapes and actually designing and the hardware, then we are certainly pen makers.

Coincidentally, I'm teaching Romeo and Juliet right now:
What's in a name - that which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet!
(My guess is that if it were called a Stink Flower, we might have a different opinion of roses, but her point is well taken!)

The forum title won't change anything, but my preference is to keep the name the way it is...I found this site by typing pen turning into a web browswer...if it was pen makers emporium or some such, I wouldn't have stumbled across it! And that would have been a shame...(O shame, where is thy blush?)

The name depends on the image we want to project. If what others think doesn't matter, then it is fine to leave it alone. If what others think matters to us, then we might want to consider a name change.

Pwersonally, I think "Pencrafter" or "Penmaker" is a more descriptive expression of what we do. They are self-explanatory words. "Penturner" requires an explanation for most people. That is why I have chosen to call myself a "Pencrafter" of sorts, however, I have no problem with being a "Penmaker".

It's the word "turner" that nobody understands. The larger world of woodturning has the same problem. Nobody knows what a "woodturner" is either, and there is no simple way to correct that.

Originally posted by RussFairfield

It's the word "turner" that nobody understands. The larger world of woodturning has the same problem. Nobody knows what a "woodturner" is either, and there is no simple way to correct that.

Right on. Many of my friends know a LOT more about automotive stuff than woodworking, and when they hear the word "turn" they immediately conjure up images of turning their brake rotors.

jeff, sometimes when i say i am a member of i. a. penturners they think i twirl pens through my fingers. so i think penmakers is a good idea.

I'm for not changing it too. I haven't seen a pen yet, except for the famous pickle pen, that wasn't turned. Ditto on the "if it ain't broke...".
Respectfully submitted,
Rob

Figured I'd better chime in while I'm browsing and waiting for the table saw to cool down a little - Don't change it! I'll get lost and never find you guys again!

I can just see me clicking into my bookmark and ending up in a virtual ghost town complete with the cow skulls and tumbleweeds...

"Guys...? Hey guuuuyyyysss...hey, what was that noise?...YOU GUYS THIS AIN'T FUNNY NO MORE, C'MON OUT!"

KarlvinScared.gif

Back
Top Bottom