Wagner texturing tool unexpected pattern

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

michaelperez

Hello everyone, hope you're doing well. Today I made a pill holder and used my Wagner tool (3/8x 16 TPI) for the first time. I designed the barrel to have three sections, and I expected them to turn out the same. However, eventhough I used the same RPM (300) setting and tried to apply the same pressure, I ended up with different results in each section—the texture got progressively tighter.
Could this be due to the wood grain or is it more likely related to my technique?
Greetings

Attachments

• IMG_3651.jpeg
    IMG_3651.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 80
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have been wanting to try this, but no practical experience yet. From what I have reviewed, I believe the tools are pretty sensitive to the various angles involved at which they are presented to the wood. Do you think that may have came into play?

I have been wanting to try this, but no practical experience yet. From what I have reviewed, I believe the tools are pretty sensitive to the various angles involved at which they are presented to the wood. Do you think that may have came into play?
Honestly, I tried to maintain it as much as possible. Definitely, I have to do more tests. I don't know if switching the piece the opposite way could affect it, or maybe it was the wood grain. I just didn't expect it at all. I thought it was going to give me a consistent pattern, it looks like I have used 3 different texturing tools with diferente TPI, (I don't dislike the result, but it wasn't what I was looking for).

That was something I wondering about the different tools. As I recall Wagner may have been a better design, but some seemed to have some looseness in the wheel. How the wheel aligned against the wood could change on those. The ones with nice tight bearings and fits made more sense.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

That was something I wondering about the different tools. As I recall Wagner may have been a better design, but some seemed to have some looseness in the wheel. How the wheel aligned against the wood could change on those. The ones with nice tight bearings and fits made more sense.

Keep us posted on what you find out.
Thanks, definitely I'll be updating my experience with the Wagner I also have one from Ron brown so I can compare.

Tried it again, but first checked some variables and noticed that one side of the barrel was a little bit wider. Also I was running the lathe reverse now I did it forward according to Craft Supplies recommendations.
Heres a picture,the middle section got a tighter texture this time .😁

Attachments

• IMG_7341.jpeg
    IMG_7341.jpeg
    61.7 KB · Views: 23
Tried it again, but first checked some variables and noticed that one side of the barrel was a little bit wider. Also I was running the lathe reverse now I did it forward according to Craft Supplies recommendations.
Heres a picture,the middle section got a tighter texture this time .😁
Much more consistent. 👍

Back
Top Bottom