Casting Pen Blanks with Exotic feathers and resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BPierce

I am new to this forum. So I am trying to find out more about making resin pen blanks with exotic feathers in them. Maybe a how to or just some advise if there is anyone that has tried such a thing.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Those examples are fantastic. Are there any videos of the process? Thanks for sharing.
The problem you will run into like with John's blanks and Marla's blanks is they do that stuff for a living and sell them. They are not going to share their secrets. Like most people who cast blanks there is alot of trial and error and you learn by that. maybe they will give you some friendly advise if they see this question. Now you can find some info in the library here. as well as using the search feature at the top right corner. I highly suggest you take a look around our site and get familiar with some of the features we have to offer. You may find something that may interest you. FB is another source for videos. I will post this thread for you to get you started.
Good Luck!
https://www.penturners.org/threads/starting-with-feather-pen-blanks.178537/#post-2193537

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Bruce. I started making feather blanks around 2008. Lots of trials and failures along the way. I was inspired by the pen Shane Whitlock made with the jungle fowl feather and glossy thread. He tied them down to the tube. He had a very unique way and look to his blanks. They are beautiful and his style. I wanted to do my own thing and I eventually fine tuned my process after about 6 months worth of trying. My advice would be to check your laws to make sure you keep it legal. In my state it's illegal to use any wild animal/ bird parts for profit except for fly tying. I only use domestic raised or non native bird feathers purchased. I have to keep permits and receipts to prove the legality if questioned. I worked closely with local DNR officers in the beginning to make sure I didn't run into any problems. Also, keep a notebook as you go. It will help isolate the variables in the process to find success in it. Be prepared for failures. I used to get upset. Now I've learned to live it. Sometimes they just don't turn out. Today was a good day. Only one failure out of 36 but I've had days where it was the opposite as I threw a weeks worth of work in the trash. If you already cast, I'm sure you've experienced failures and trial and errors. If you're new to casting, get familiar with your resins so you can understand what's happening with your results. That will help you modify your process. I'm now a full time resin caster and I'm still learning (after more than 16 years at it). It's a huge rabbit hole.

Best of luck and I look forward to seeing your work!

John

Back
Top Bottom