Lightburn Software Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Hi Everybody!

So, I bought an Ortur LM 3 engraver, and a new HP 14" laptop to use specifically for engraving, Things. I downloaded the Free Trial Lightburn software to the new laptop, but when I clicked to open it, I got this notification telling me to go to the app store for an app. In doing so, I will have to leave SAFE mode. But it doesn't tell me which app I need to open the file. I did select two different apps, that I thought would open the file, but no such luck.

Does anybody here have knowledge of such a situation? WHICH APP? Thanks for any help!
Lightburn 1.jpg
Lightburn 2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I would reach out on the Lightburn forum. I ran it on a Windows 10 machine to try without any issues so not sure why it would ask you for an app.

I would reach out on the Lightburn forum. I ran it on a Windows 10 machine to try without any issues so not sure why it would ask you for an app.
Thanks Rob, I took a look at that forum. I thought I would try our group here before creating an account, and posting as a new member. I appreciate your suggestion.

I think it is the Lightburn App itself. I am pretty sure that Windows 10 security mode "S" means that you can only run applications that are authenticated and downloaded from the Microsoft Store. It is a setting in the Performance and Security settings in Windows 10. It's kind of a super heavy duty prevention against any malware or virus threats, but it is also severely limiting. I think it also limits other things like how much you can personalize and configure other things on your computer.

Of course I run lots of applications, but other than that the thing I dislike the most about "S" mode is that everything a user does gets automatically saved to OneDrive, their Cloud Storage Service to keep from filling up local storage.

The only time I've seen it purposefully used was when it was installed on school owned, student's laptops which were minimal type systems (as far as computing power and local storage is concerned) and are more vulnerable to all of the junk that students would potentially access.

Dave

I think it is the Lightburn App itself. I am pretty sure that Windows 10 security mode "S" means that you can only run applications that are authenticated and downloaded from the Microsoft Store. It is a setting in the Performance and Security settings in Windows 10. It's kind of a super heavy duty prevention against any malware or virus threats, but it is also severely limiting. I think it also limits other things like how much you can personalize and configure other things on your computer.

Of course I run lots of applications, but other than that the thing I dislike the most about "S" mode is that everything a user does gets automatically saved to OneDrive, their Cloud Storage Service to keep from filling up local storage.

The only time I've seen it purposefully used was when it was installed on school owned, student's laptops which were minimal type systems (as far as computing power and local storage is concerned) and are more vulnerable to all of the junk that students would potentially access.

Dave
Thanks Dave, I agree with your comments. So, given that I have installed two applications that are approved by Microsoft, and still am unable to open the Lightburn file, I suppose I need to exit "S" mode. Even though there is a warning about this action, and won't be able to go back to "S" mode. Is there an alternative security I can download to replace that protection? Like an anti-malware/anti-virus?

The one that I have used for a long time now, maybe a decade, is Bitdefender. Although I have a paid version and I protect not only my PC but my wife's and children's under the same license, they (Bitdefender) used to have a free version that covers a single PC, and maybe they still do, but most companies have gone the way of annual subscriptions.

I started out with the MaCafee many years ago, then went to Trend Micro because they used the least amount of system overhead to get the job done. They of course caught up with the other companies as far as overhead goes so I wound up with Bitdefender and since then I've had no cause to change.

Part of it simply comes down to the amount of online exposure a system gets to various potential sources of infection. I'm careful about where I browse and what I click on, so I could probably get by with the Windows Security that is built in to Windows, but my wife and kids are another story. I think the one that comes with Windows 10 might be called Windows Defender which also includes some kind of Firewall.

Dave

PS I use LightBurn too. I clicked on the "Extend Trial" button a few times and got about 2-3 months of use before I had to buy a license key.

[edit] this is some stupidity that Microsoft introduced to keep you from using the computer the way you want. If the steps I outline below don't work, check out THIS ARTICLE on the Microsoft support site for "how to switch off S mode"

Find where the file is stored using the File Explorer, and right-click on it, choose "Properties" from the menu that flips out.

On the Properties dialog, down the bottom, you might see something that looks like this:

_ _ download.jpg

If you get that security warning, just check the "unblock" box and click OK. It should allow the program to run.

Last edited:
[edit] this is some stupidity that Microsoft introduced to keep you from using the computer the way you want. If the steps I outline below don't work, check out THIS ARTICLE on the Microsoft support site for "how to switch off S mode"

Find where the file is stored using the File Explorer, and right-click on it, choose "Properties" from the menu that flips out.

On the Properties dialog, down the bottom, you might see something that looks like this:

View attachment 377120

If you get that security warning, just check the "unblock" box and click OK. It should allow the program to run.
This is even better. I'll check this out tomorrow. Thanks Duncan!

S mode essentially restricts your computer to microsoft's pre-approved software, like Edge, and restricts anything not specifically approved by Microsoft. It's like on your work computer - your admin decides what software your company will allow.

Regular mode means you make the decisions about what to install, and gives you more flexibility, but also requires you to vet your own software and sources.

Back
Top Bottom