Hakase penmaking video on Youtube.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Thanks for reminding me about this video - a former member here, Mike Shue, has this and a few others in the series "Masters of the Fountain Pen" on his Youtube channel (posted about 8 years ago, so it's quicker to sort "oldest first" and scroll down to them.)

Thanks for reminding me about this video - a former member here, Mike Shue, has this and a few others in the series "Masters of the Fountain Pen" on his Youtube channel (posted about 8 years ago, so it's quicker to sort "oldest first" and scroll down to them.)
This is actually a completely new video. I'm familiar with the older series. There was one filmed at Hakase and it even used that same green celluloid. The gentleman featured in that video I believe retired and this one features a lot more use of a standard metal lathe along with the traditional lathes used for pen making in Japan.

A combination of a work of art and precision. Are these the ones that sell for three and four figures?
I think they start at around $500 or so and go up from there. They do use a lot of exotic materials, quite a few of which can't be exported from Japan, which can drive the price quite high.

This is actually a completely new video. I'm familiar with the older series. There was one filmed at Hakase and it even used that same green celluloid. The gentleman featured in that video I believe retired and this one features a lot more use of a standard metal lathe along with the traditional lathes used for pen making in Japan.
I remember watching the older video and was greatly impressed with the way he made threads. That took a lot of experience and discipline, which I remember seeing in some of the master crafts men. The one master craftsman that I knew personally continued to amaze me every time I watched him make something.

I have seen quite a few of the Japanese pen maker videos and one thing that sticks out is the strange type of lathe they all use, a big Jacobs chuck and both power fed via a belt and hand fed via the foot peddles.

Anyone on here using one of those lathes, anyone know anything about them, what we're they originally made for as I am sure they were not built as pen lathes originally. Or were they ?

In Japan they use similar lathes for general wood turning like making bowls and whatnot. I know they use the same type of lathe at Nakaya, Onishi Seisakusho, Ohashido, and Nebotek before they became Eboya. Masahiro I believe also uses a similar lathe. I'm sure they are either manufactured for such use or they're modified from generally available wood turning lathes.

When I lived in Japan from 1986 through 2010, it was difficult to find lathes of any type in hardware & tool stores and home centers. The woodworking and tool district in Osaka next to the computer district had some quality tools but rarely had lathes. Lathes were available but not to the average hobbyist. The masters had no problem getting lathes but these were not for the home hobbyist. If I remember correctly, I think it was in Nagoya area that I saw a lathe in one hardware and tool store, but it is not the type that the masters used.

I had mine shipped over there and brought it back with me (a Rikon), when I returned home for good.

Back
Top Bottom