Five sided knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveJ

SteveJ

Here is my first attempt at a five sided knot. Had some glue issues and probably need to start with a larger blank. Overall I'm not too disappointed in it. The next one will probably have to wait a couple of weeks.
1000004497.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Since this was merely a trial I used a cheap 3/4 inch dowel which was pretty soft. It splintered some while cutting and even more while turning, even when doused with CA. When I get back to it I'll use a larger and denser wood. I managed to cut the grooves with the Byrnes tablesaw and the Celtic knot jig and a couple of pentagons cut on the laser and glued to the end of the blank to provide flat surfaces to ride on the saw bed.

I think it's great, and I'm glad you gave it a try. I've wanted to, but haven't had much extra time to experiment. With the daylight shrinking, I'll gain more evening shop time.

Interesting for sure. Now you said something in your description that got my wheels turning. We have a few 3d printer people here and laser people. Would it be possible to make jigs (so called) of solid sort of wheels with 5, 6 ,7, 8 sides? Make them say either 3/4" or 1" around so that they are just low enough to fit on the ends of a blank. Now you can either chuck them up to a lathe or bandsaw or even tablesaw. Just spitballing here. they should be very accurate. I may try this using my router sled on the lathe and making a long block of them and then cut to width any size I want. I know I am about 2 months away from starting my pen turning adventures again for the year but maybe someone could attempt this. Making on a lathe would be fairly easy using an indexing wheel in combination with a router sled. What this does is now gives you the amount of flat edges needed for amount of knots you want and they would all be accurate which is what is crucial when doing these type knots. No measuring needed.

That is essentially what I did. I glued a pentegon to each end to give the flat surface needed. Unfortunately the depth of cut on the Byrnes saw doesn't give much room for the end piece. I also think this knot would look better with thinner inlay. Unfortunately for me, that means I need to build a jig for the bandsaw (I know, building jigs is supposed to be part of the fun…)

It may be that cutting at a different angle would also improve the look of the finished knot.

Back
Top Bottom