Alumilite ink stain question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

The shed Dxb

Hey All,

Had a customer that I met that purchased one of my bespoke fountain pens made with Alumilite resin.

Some highly pigmented ink was used and left for an extended period of time and apparently it stained the Abalone style colouring on the resin.

He mentioned he tried water and even an ultrasonic cleaner and it didnt come off.

Haven't had a chance to test it but Any thoughts on how it may be cleaned off or even if is possible with denatured alcohol or mineral spirits.

Thanks

Hmmm, I have to wonder if the ink was actual water based fountain pen ink? I put a section in my ultrasonic that had black ink all around it from filling my pen, the ink came off immediately so I dumped my ultrasonic and filled with clean water/solution. That section had been sitting around probably a month with ink on it and it's fine now. Is it possible it wasn't water based ink?

And my similar story must have been a pigment based ink, as the ink did not come out no matter what I did - water, ultrasonic, DNA, mineral spirits and other things that I thought would have the least chance of damaging the resin of the blank.

I ended up just re-turning the blanks. Though it was a not-very-expensive blank so it wasn't a big sacrifice.

Back
Top Bottom