So I'm convinced...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pshrynk

I got a digital caliper and decided to monkey around with it while I'm waiting for my hand to heal up. I measured the cap for an Artisan Panache pen from Craft Supplies. It's a really wide bodied pen that has a base that's a skosh less than 3/4 inch diameter tapering to about 1/2 inch. striking modernistic design. Anyway, I measured the end-cap and then the bushing and there was about a 1.5 mm difference between the two. There isn't any overhang on the pictures they show of the completed pens. So, I guess I'll be using the calipers on my pens from now on...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hello,

I think the difference in dimensions that you have noticed is due to the end caps having a tapered, (or angled) profile that will follow along with the tapered shape of the turned barrels.

The furthest out dimension of the caps will measure out larger than the inside part of the cap where it meets the barrel you turn. The inside part of the cap should match up with the bushing dimension. But that part of the cap will be difficult to measure exactly with your calipers.

I hope that makes sense. Its kind of hard to explain without visuals.

Bill

pshrynk

The ends are disks like this:

art_pan_pen_kit_bla_chr.jpg

A bit of taper, but it doesn't look like that much. I'll have to reassess it tonight.

Last edited:

pshrynk

Hello,

I think the difference in dimensions that you have noticed is due to the end caps having a tapered, (or angled) profile that will follow along with the tapered shape of the turned barrels.

The furthest out dimension of the caps will measure out larger than the inside part of the cap where it meets the barrel you turn. The inside part of the cap should match up with the bushing dimension. But that part of the cap will be difficult to measure exactly with your calipers.

I hope that makes sense. Its kind of hard to explain without visuals.

Bill
Okay, so there is a sharper angle than it at first seemed to me. And, as you said, it's harder to measure than you'd expect. And the bushing is spot on. But the digital caliper is still a cool toy... :biggrin:

[/QUOTE]But the digital caliper is still a cool toy... :biggrin:[/QUOTE]

I agree completely! It is a must have tool.

The Panache is one of my favorite pens to make. There is much room for customization. If you turn them as a closed end pen, you can replace the stock end caps with contrasting woods, etc.

Happy turning!

Bill

Top Bottom