Shout out to Rick Herrell

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TDahl

I recently ordered Rick Herrell's Tail Stock Clamp for my PSI Turncrafter Commander and installed it yesterday. The subject of tail stock and head stock alignment showed up in a recent post ( https://www.penturners.org/threads/how-to-fix-headstock-tailstock-alignment.179696/ ) and this part was recommended as a possible solution. This little part took out all the play in my tail stock and the centers line up perfectly. The big bonus is it is reasonably priced. I would highly recommend everyone to make this upgrade on your wood lathe if you haven't done so already.

Thanks again Rick.

Attachments

• IMG_7103.jpg
    IMG_7103.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7105.jpg
    IMG_7105.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 66
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

d_bondi

I just ordered one for my Jet 1221VS the other day and am excited to get it.

Hippie3180

I recently ordered Rick Herrell's Tail Stock Clamp for my PSI Turncrafter Commander and installed it yesterday. The subject of tail stock and head stock alignment showed up in a recent post ( https://www.penturners.org/threads/how-to-fix-headstock-tailstock-alignment.179696/ ) and this part was recommended as a possible solution. This little part took out all the play in my tail stock and the centers line up perfectly. The big bonus is it is reasonably priced. I would highly recommend everyone to make this upgrade on your wood lathe if you haven't done so already.

Thanks again Rick.
So this just eliminates any slop in your tail stock and keeps everything aligned as well?

egnald

I installed one on my Jet 1221VS about a year ago. It made a significant difference on how solid the alignment is for me. I still have a little play when the tailstock is unlocked, but it is still a wonderful improvement over the round, stepped washer deal that came on the lathe. I agree completely - Rick does some outstanding work! - Dave

TDahl

So this just eliminates any slop in your tail stock and keeps everything aligned as well?
Pretty much. There will be a little side to side play between the ways (as David mentioned) but you would need this for the tail stock to slide freely over the ways. When you lock down the tails stock it pretty much falls into place. There was way more play in my tail stock with the round washer that originally came with the lathe.

d_bondi

From what I read on Rick's post is that it is primarily designed to stop the tailstock from creeping/slipping, but... that some have reported that it reduces the play as well.

I purchased it for the primary reason, but if I get a little improvement in the play... BONUS!!! I have had poor luck with pen presses for kit pens and now do all my pressing using the Penn State Between Centers Pen Press on my lathe. I really like this, I like the stability and the feel and using the quill (instead of a lever handle), I have complete control over how much pressure I put on and how far I press. The ONLY issue is that sometimes my tailstock slips away and that is because of the sloppy round step washer that this replaces.

derekdd

Wow, sounds like a brilliant upgrade.

Just what my Commander needs. I've been thinking about upgrading to a Jet 1221 for more power, capacity, and a more accurate tailstock.

Top Bottom