Center Rings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I got my inspiration from Kevin's post here.
Thread 'Diamond Knurl Rollerball with matching Center Band and Finial'
https://www.penturners.org/threads/...-with-matching-center-band-and-finial.176377/

Haven't made a pen yet but I think I have an easy and repeatable method to make the center rings. I just drill a hole in whatever material I want to use and slice them to the width I need. Put them on the jig/ mandrel, turn and sand to size put on a finish and done. I made center rings from acrylic, stabilized wood, Purple Heart and zebra wood. The zebra wood I had to sand to size, it's not stout enough to handle lathe tools at the thinness you need. Even full sanding only took a few minutes. As the pictures show, I just put the original knurled center ring on the mandrel and use it as a sizing guide. I think the pictures will be self explanatory.
63D85EA2-E3BF-4E07-9E25-37D1AAB4E65B.jpeg
1F7D24BE-FD90-4F4E-B329-1CD2DBE72FF8.jpeg
9BCD3BD0-9C5E-4CE1-987C-2296AEF34924.jpeg
230EA5E3-BAC0-4A8C-B538-BC0AC7BEE690.jpeg
E7DCB489-1CD1-489B-9CF0-E2021FD34ACE.jpeg
913B2E1A-1F69-437A-8AB6-BF151D4459F2.jpeg
A489A798-EDD1-467D-923E-4B5299F066ED.jpeg
D6DFEE1F-8C8C-44E2-9F27-6DB05F54591C.jpeg
3F3E2EE8-830E-48DE-8AA2-D2061C702E0B.jpeg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I bet the best part of the whole operation was thinking and planning the method. I get the most enjoyment out of things when they work out after some planning stages. I also think another look would be to crown them slightly like a real ring. Nice idea. Have to file that one away.

KenB259

I bet the best part of the whole operation was thinking and planning the method. I get the most enjoyment out of things when they work out after some planning stages. I also think another look would be to crown them slightly like a real ring. Nice idea. Have to file that one away.
You are correct, that's what I enjoy the most. Crowning them would be very easy to do.

howsitwork

I got my inspiration from Kevin's post here.
Thread 'Diamond Knurl Rollerball with matching Center Band and Finial'
https://www.penturners.org/threads/...-with-matching-center-band-and-finial.176377/

Haven't made a pen yet but I think I have an easy and repeatable method to make the center rings. I just drill a hole in whatever material I want to use and slice them to the width I need. Put them on the jig/ mandrel, turn and sand to size put on a finish and done. I made center rings from acrylic, stabilized wood, Purple Heart and zebra wood. The zebra wood I had to sand to size, it's not stout enough to handle lathe tools at the thinness you need. Even full sanding only took a few minutes. As the pictures show, I just put the original knurled center ring on the mandrel and use it as a sizing guide. I think the pictures will be self explanatory. View attachment 345898View attachment 345899View attachment 345900View attachment 345901View attachment 345902View attachment 345903View attachment 345904View attachment 345905View attachment 345906
can I copy that idea for a tapered aluminium (?) in on the revolving tailstock ! Brilliant for expanding a mandrel

Ian

jttheclockman

I bought that at rubberchucky.com.
Thank you for the link. Another tool in the tool box. Just checked the site real quick and see some mini birds I want to get for birdhouse ornaments. My sources have sort of dried up and the quality they are producing has gotten terrible.

KenB259

Thank you for the link. Another tool in the tool box. Just checked the site real quick and see some mini birds I want to get for birdhouse ornaments. My sources have sort of dried up and the quality they are producing has gotten terrible.
No problem. Their site isn't the easiest to navigate, but they have some unique items. I have their finial chuckie, which I haven't used yet.

Last edited:

sorcerertd

Sweet! The jig-master is at it again. Besides the fact that the kits are good quality, that easily removable knurled center band is a fantastic feature. I was planning on trying something similar to that after seeing Kevin's solution, too. My way wasn't exactly safe (mostly unsafe for the ring, only a slight bit for my fingers). Hopefully I'll get back down to the shop again before too long, though sharpening is still at the top of the list.

KMCloonan

Ken, I really like where you went with the idea! Even something as simple as using the old center band as the bushing for the new center band - Brilliant - I wish I had thought of that! 🤣

Seriously, it's great when we can build off of each other's ideas. That's what I really, really like about this site. (Not to mention I enjoy the company as well.)

Happy New Year!

KenB259

Ken, I really like where you went with the idea! Even something as simple as using the old center band as the bushing for the new center band - Brilliant - I wish I had thought of that! 🤣

Seriously, it's great when we can build off of each other's ideas. That's what I really, really like about this site. (Not to mention I enjoy the company as well.)

Happy New Year!
I'm planning on making an actual pen today with a custom center ring. I thank you for the inspiration. I made mine out of the hardest wood I had, a piece of Ipe, I thought it might grip better than plastic. I guess we proved though, either material works well. Next step, segmenting that little ring 😜

Top Bottom