What is shelf life of resin?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mermaid

What's the shelf life of unopened Aluminite Clear Slow and opened Liquid Diamonds resin?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I think the Alumilite Clear Slow is three months, however I've used it a few months past that and it's fine. I do keep it in an environmentally controlled space though.

I've got some that is well over a year old and it seems like it still works like new. Like Michele. I keep it in a cupboard in my climate controlled workshop. - Dave

I've used some Alumilite that was over a year old and not the most climate controlled, but still poured pretty well for a flat pour.

Alumilite Clear Slow

Attachments

• IMG_0579.jpeg
    IMG_0579.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 13
Liquid diamonds will not go bad in the respect of not curing when used. But it will yellow with time even unopened and you try to store in dark low heat areas. Now the good thing with that if it yellows you can always color it to make blanks like that. But if clear casting that can be a problem.

Liquid diamonds will not go bad in the respect of not curing when used. But it will yellow with time even unopened and you try to store in dark low heat areas. Now the good thing with that if it yellows you can always color it to make blanks like that. But if clear casting that can be a problem.
Thanks. I was trying to figure out if I needed to dispose of it or offer it to someone local for free to try out. I have no idea how old the Liquid diamond is, at this po8nt

Thanks. I was trying to figure out if I needed to dispose of it or offer it to someone local for free to try out. I have no idea how old the Liquid diamond is, at this po8nt
as long as it is not opened and you can see it moves easily in the bottle. If it is thick then it is no good and usually air got to it.

I've used some Alumilite that was over a year old and not the most climate controlled, but still poured pretty well for a flat pour.
Thanks. I found it in a box unopened. it still looks clear but has to be a few years old. I was just trying to see if it was worth offering to someone local to try.

I had two brands of nearly 7-year old epoxy resin, which included Liquid Diamonds. I successfully cast pen blanks from it.

Old Epoxy Success

As long as you explain it's old, there is no harm in trying. All the caster loses is time and colorant. Plus, even if it doesn't work well, throwing away partly hardened/rubbery pen blank failures is less troublesome than disposing of the liquids.

Totalboat states their resin is good for a year, unopened. I've read many threads that say they've used two year old and older resins that were fine. In fact MAS in an article said they have resins that are good for many years in upopened containers even if the hardener gets yellowed, it still works.
I would say open the containers, pour out a small amount in a dixie cup, or such, and see if it sets up. If it does then your golden!

Back
Top Bottom