Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am so good I don't need sandpaper!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Just curious. What grit sandpaper do you start sanding at? Do you have great tool control and don't need to use sandpaper? Or do you have to get out the 80 grit gouge? Maybe somewhere in between?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Depending on the wood, I used to usually start at 320...but recently I am de-evolving as a turner LOL and finding myself starting using 220 a lot more.

150 is the lowest grit paper I even have in my shop. If I didn't get it turned well enough to start with that, I have to try again. Helps me from getting lazy with my turning technique.

Most of the time I use 400 grit followed by the complete set of MM. On some, more coarser, woods I start with 320, or sometimes 280 - but this is the coarsest grit I use in sanding. Never understood why some people have to use something lower than 150 or even 80...

If I turn (with a skew) to the final dimension (to the bushing) I might start at 400 grit or even start with 1500MM. But if the material is subject to catching and/or blowout I might turn to within a 1/32 or so of the final dimension and then start with 150 grit to get the final dimension and go up from there.

I normally try in the 100-120 range. Than I move up to 400 and than on up to MM. But there are some bowls that I will start with 60g. I may eventually use the 400 but.... I dont see that as happening to much. And whoever said that he doesnt know why some have lower grits.... Well there are reason to have it and there are some who use it.

Dean

I typically start with 220 or 280. It's possible I don't need to be that low but I figure it doesn't really slow me down and I don't know any better...pens come out pretty nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom