What dust collection hose do you use?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

I want to set up my dust collection a little better. I got the HF 2hp DC and added a separator and going to get the Wynn filter soon. I will have one hose dedicated at the lathe. I have the small portable PSI DC that I will use as a mobile machine for the tools I don't use as often but have also considered having a longer hose for the second port for doing the same or for using a floor sweep. Lots of choices for dust collection hoses out there. Not looking to do a whole shop pvc set up just using hose.

This is appealing for moving around the shop
Dust Right Expandable Hose-Expandable Hose | Rockler Woodworking Tools

Saw a video on this and very cheap option but don't know how bad the corrugated inside affects the efficiency?
4 in. x 10 ft. Corrugated HDPE Drain Pipe Solid with Bell-End-4540010 - The Home Depot

Anyway, what hose do you use, any cheap but awesomely functioning options out there?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

csr67

I use the Rockler Dust Rite system and I love it. I bought the starter kit that comes with the floor sweep, bench dust nozzle and a few ports. I then bought the 3' expanding hose that reaches to 21'. Everything works great. I have a hood on my lathe and ports on my bandsaw, tablesaw, and 12" disk sander. The dustright handle quickly attaches to any machine and the hose easily reaches my entire shop.

chartle

Saw a video on this and very cheap option but don't know how bad the corrugated inside affects the efficiency?
4 in. x 10 ft. Corrugated HDPE Drain Pipe Solid with Bell-End-4540010 - The Home Depot

Anyway, what hose do you use, any cheap but awesomely functioning options out there?

Not that I'm an aeronautical engineer (though that was going to be my major when I first went to college) I would think the corrugations would create pockets of dead air that would allow the dust to settle in them until the filled up. Can't help air flow.

JimB

It will also depend on how much you ar going to use. A short piece to make a connection would probably be fine. If you are planning to use a lot of it it will probably cause some airflow reduction.

HD also has sewer pipe pvc. It is only about another $1 for 10'. I don't know what the difference is between regular pvc and sewer pipe pvc.

chartle

HD also has sewer pipe pvc. It is only about another $1 for 10'. I don't know what the difference is between regular pvc and sewer pipe pvc.

Regular DWV(drain waste vent) PVC is schedule 40 and has thicker walls than PVC used for just drainage like for connecting to downspouts.

mike4066

I've heard that the corrugated stuff can be noisy.

Harbor freight has a kit for $60 ($48 after 20% coupon) 2x 10' hoses, Y splitter, clamps, blast gates, table saw plate... basically enough to hook up 2 machines.

I couldn't figure out what/how I wanted to hook mine up so I just went and bought this, but haven't installed yet.

southernclay

Thanks all! Mike I like that HF kit, I like the rockler option of the longer reaching hose to move around to the whole shop with joints too. Gonna keep mulling a bit.

JimB

Regular DWV(drain waste vent) PVC is schedule 40 and has thicker walls than PVC used for just drainage like for connecting to downspouts.

In the picture on the HD website it actually looked thinner. It looked like it might have a tapered end.

Rick_G

I used some of that hose for a while on my 1 hp collector but found the "just going to make 1 cut syndrome" was cutting in to often. I got a 1 micron canister filter for it and ran galvanized metal heat and vent piping along the roof with a dedicated drop and blast gate at each tool. No grooves inside to catch anything or cause more air resistance. Also used the aluminum h/v tape to seal all the seams. Works much better now especially since I use it all the time.

southernclay

Thanks for the continued comments. The Wynn canister filter has been ordered. I love the idea of one day having dedicated ducts to each machine but I think our current home will mostly be a 2-5 year stay. I get so little shop time that this setup I have in mind should work out well for that time.

Carl Fisher

I have to say from experience that you get what you pay for in dust collection hose.

The cheap stuff is stiff and so unforgiving that it is terrible trying to run it to a machine and the fittings don't like to stay tight no matter how tight you wrench down on the cheap band clamps they give you (speaking for the Harbor Freight version)

Spend a little extra for a nice soft flexible hose for the last portion of your run and some good fittings and clamps and you'll be very pleased. For the long runs, you want rigid smooth pipe. 4" or 5" dust collection specific pipe or at minimum PVC piping. Long runs of corrugated leads to lower air flow from turbulence and debris will build up in the low spots over time.

The most expensive part of DC is the fittings honestly. I have a ton of snap lock DC pipe that I haven't run yet because the fittings are so darned expensive.

southernclay

Thanks Carl

I'm leaning pretty heavily on the Rockler longest expandable hose.

I got a several different fittings/clamps recently in a bulk deal that will fit on most of the different machines (table saw/planer) so that is taken care of.

The separator I have is this one on a metal trash can, I have the HD drain hose on it and think I will need to upgrade it too, very small amount of hose for that though.
Buy Trash Can Cyclone Lid at Woodcraft.com

Brian G

ASTM 3034 Sewer and drain PVC is a better choice than the corrugated drain. The 3034 has a thicker wall, and the common DC fittings fit in snugly.

Link to another forum describing my DC setup almost 10 years ago. The shop layout has changed since then. I have the Wynn filter on my DC, and use a 3 mil plastic bag to catch the dust and chips. If you're careful, you can reuse the bag multiple times. I choose not to use a separator because it's one more thing that takes up space in my basement.

If I was starting fresh, I'd buy the Dust Right hose to supplement the hard piping so that I didn't have to step over some of the hose from the DC to the table saw and band saw. I use lengths of Rockler's "regular" DC hose instead.

csr67

Here's a pic of my Rockler Dust Right system with the 21' expandable hose. I like how I can clip the hose/handle to the wall when not using it. The floor sweep and bench brush clip on the other side using the clips in the starter kit.

f6faa7e0117dc8548608e419e8dbaad3.jpg

southernclay

Thanks Brian! I like that setup and thanks for the advise. I'm going to look at your setup a little closer when I get to a computer.

Chris I like that! Nice and neat and out of the way. Thanks for posting. BTW I'm still glad I did those ceiling hanging outlets you posted on my lighting thread a while back. They are great, I got a Jet air cleaner with that bulk deal and will hanging it soon and using one of the outlets.

shastastan

I use the Rockler Dust Rite system and I love it. I bought the starter kit that comes with the floor sweep, bench dust nozzle and a few ports. I then bought the 3' expanding hose that reaches to 21'. Everything works great. I have a hood on my lathe and ports on my bandsaw, tablesaw, and 12" disk sander. The dustright handle quickly attaches to any machine and the hose easily reaches my entire shop.

I use this hose with my Rockler DC which I also like because it mounts on the wall. The hose reaches all of my pieces of equip... I added dust ports to my table saw, large band saw, planer and, belt sander. I also bought the smaller dc kit with fittings for my disk sander, and scms saw.

gimpy

I also have the same unit, wouldn't trade it for anything !!

Old Codger

I have to agree with Carl... Stay away from the cheap fittings/hoses...they are a waste of $$$ as they never fit or stay together no matter how well or tight you make your fittings... After spending $$$, I'm still not pleased with my hose fittings and how flexible the hoses/fittings are. I've used HF, Grizzley, Rockler, and still have issues that shouldn't occur after spending all the $$$ I've spent on setting up my dust collection system... Trying to attach the hose to different fittings is a MAJOR issue not matter if if I try them cold, heat them or attempt to force them... MFG's should make their products 'standard' so they all work together... Comments/suggestions???

Top Bottom