Variable speed drives

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

artme

I post this question here in the hope that some forum members may be able to help me out, because in the USA you use 110 volts , the same as is used in Brasil.

I have asked here about using an inverter to change the speed of a motor by just turning a knob. I know this is possible because you have this set-up on Jet and other lathes.

I am continually told here that I need three phases, but when I try to explain that the set-up I am looking at uses a single phase through an inverter to run a three phase motor I am greeted with dismay. Maybe it is a language problem.

Whatever, it is very frustrating. Can some knowledgable and kindly soul please help me?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I used the motor out of a treadmill to make my lathe into a variable speed, it is a dc motor that varies the voltage to change speeds, I have heard that a variable frequency drive (VFD) can be used with a 3 phase motor to get variable speeds, I don't know what would be available for use with 220 volt systems, maybe talk to a local electrician to see if thy have any suggestions.

Randy_

I post this question here in the hope that some forum members may be able to help me out, because in the USA you use 110 volts , the same as is used in Brasil.

I have asked here about using an inverter to change the speed of a motor by just turning a knob. I know this is possible because you have this set-up on Jet and other lathes.
Far as I know, the Jet lathes that have electronic speed controls use a DC motor rather than an AC motor

I am continually told here that I need three phases, but when I try to explain that the set-up I am looking at uses a single phase through an inverter to run a three phase motor I am greeted with dismay. Maybe it is a language problem.
Again, far as I know, none of the lathes commonly used by home crafters are set up to use three phase power. 3 phase lathes are either commercila duty lathes or they are ones that have had their motors changed out by their owners.

Whatever, it is very frustrating. Can some knowledgable and kindly soul please help me?

Art: I think you may be confused as to how electronic speed control is achieved. Perhaps you could give us a little more detail about what you are trying to accomplish so we can give you better advice on how best to achieve your goals.

BigShed

Art, you are correct.

What you want is a VFD that takes single phase AC input and then converts this to 3phase AC output. You will need the correct wiring on a 3phase motor, either star or delta, can't remember which.

One of the popular brands of VFD is Teco, have a search on Fleabay-US and you should find what you are looking for.

There are a lot of threads on running 3phase motors with a VFD from single phase (240V) input on the WWF in your native Oz. One of the people that have done this that springs to mind is Calm in Ballarat.

I am about to the same to my MC900, have a 1.5hp 3phase motor ready to go.

artme

Sorry. I forgot to mention for the sake of my American friends that Ana and I are living in Brasil until at least May next year. I am building a lathe here, and if the price is right I would like to hitch up an EVS motor to drive the beast.

Electrickery in Brasil is 110 V. I would like to be able to plug into the ordinary household circuit. turn on the lathe and GO!!

I know these are available in 240 V in OZ. I know they are fitted to Smll Jet lathes, large Jet lathes and many other lathes that run 110 v.

Now:
Are integral units with EVS of1 to 1.5 hp available?

Can a unit be purchased to make a 110 V motor of the above sizes into a Variable speed unit?

Many thanks for your answers so far and I look forward to what you have in store for me after this post.:):):)

lorbay

Art not sure if you got to look at the above website but they do sell units that only require 110/120 v input.

Lin.

BigShed

Electrickery in Brasil is 110 V. I would like to be able to plug into the ordinary household circuit. turn on the lathe and GO!!

I know these are available in 240 V in OZ. I know they are fitted to Smll Jet lathes, large Jet lathes and many other lathes that run 110 v.

Now:
Are integral units with EVS of1 to 1.5 hp available?

Can a unit be purchased to make a 110 V motor of the above sizes into a Variable speed unit?

Many thanks for your answers so far and I look forward to what you have in store for me after this post.:):):)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Baldor-1HP-1...in_0?hash=item4836b0a4d0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-VFD-TECO...in_0?hash=item2551e2ee72&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Last edited:

Gary Max

Art ---I have just what you are looking for----I will take a pic later today and post for you-----plugs into 110 volt and is dail up speed control----it is a DC invertor system---costly but does a great job.
The neat part---it's small enough to ship to you.

Top Bottom