• Soft grip / Comfort Pen

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Slim line, only because I am still a newbie and they are really cheap!! I am starting to do more other types of pens, but slim lines have quite a lead.
Ryan

Cigars are my favorite so far, though I also turn a lot of slimlines. My favorite may change once I try the Baron, Jr. Gent, or Statesman.

I think I'm pretty even across the board. started out that way and sort of have kept it that way. Unless you count freedom pens. then slimlines blow the others away.

Slimlines mainly because of price and versatility. I also make Europeans and Barons. I stay with styles that use the 7mm mandrel only to avoid the confusion between suppliers. So far I have been building up an inventory looking for a place to sell my turnings. When sales begin I may change the focus depending on what the market wants.

No way I can answer the poll as it stands...
My inventory consists of Cigars, DT Euros, Perfect Fits, Barons and Jr Gents... just about an even distribution... As for my favorites I really like the Baron and the PF kits... and both sell real well for me..

Do the baseball bats I call pens fall under the "other" category?
'Cause I'm about equally split between Slimline bats and Cigar bats.
I think I like the Cigar bats a little better 'cause I can hit a lot further with'em![:D] I've got quite a few other styles settin' in my stash though; I'm just waitin' to work up enough nerve to try them out![:)]

Those Cigars do balance well and feel just right in the hand, though!

Originally posted by MDWine
<br />slimlines, but "modified"... but I'm a newbie so I am just getting my feet wet... actually, I may be up to my ankles by now... pretty soon, I'll be fully submersed!

Mike if you can do slimlines successfully you can do some of the other kits. When you feel that you are up to it I would suggest the Baron, Jr. Statesman or Jr. Statesman. Any of those kits require no tenon and although they turn into elegent writing, they are not hard to make. They may even be a little easier than the slimline. Your largest challenge would be in squaring the blanks but that doesn't have to be to difficult.

Wayne

I'm leaning more towards custom fountain pens. Trying to make stuff that's different looking and still trying to find my niche.

I responded responded that I mostly do slimlines, but I have never done one as directed in the instructions. Here are my typical styles of slimlines:

2005428145934_Pen%20Pic%20003a.jpg
<br />

Rick

Yes, I agree, very nice...

Wayne, yep, I'm going to finish my current stash of "ready" blanks, and start looking for a new kit to work on. I have everything ready for a cigar, so I might work on a few of those, but I think I'll follow your advise and look for the statesmen (jr and sr), or perhaps the Baron.

I also want to work some with 'custom' center bands, if I can figure out how to square up the small pieces of blanks that I have.

Lou,
I don't quite think I've made a made a big enough name for myself to have a pen style named after me (like the Russ-Line or the Father Sing pens), but thanks for the pat on the back anyway!

Jim,
The orange one is actually Mexican Cocobolo. Before I cut the blank it looked like it was going to be a rich chocolate brown from the look of the outside, but when I cut into the blank it was a bright orange. That big dark spot on the pen was a huge bark inclusion that needed about 3 rounds of super glue and saw dust to fill and stabilize it. The segmented pen was nicknamed "The Croquet Pole" by my wife and sister in law. HTey said I just needed to change the order of a few of the stripes and it would have matched the colors of the croquet set we have. Maybe next time.
Rick

So far Have been turning a lot of cigars. Mainly because people want to buy tham and I love a fat pen that will fit in the pen hole in a work shirt and they just show the grain so well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom