Two questions...trim advice and medallions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
First, I have some requests from a few friends to make some of these concealment coat racks, and I think I can do better than what I'm seeing on my local FB Marketplace. After I get these first ones done, I'd like to make some example pieces in a couple of different finishes and put them on FB and see how it goes. Unlike the first image below, I'll be using solid pine boards for the sides, top, and door frame pieces instead of plywood, although I'll use plywood for the back.

Can you guys give any advice on how to give this piece some love? I'll definitely be routering some of the edges but I could use some direction on which edges and what bit. It seems like the 4 door frame pieces could use some kind of design on the flat faces, but I'm not sure what that would be. Stencil or router work...dunno.

Also, if you have any other suggestions as to how to make this an overall better quality piece, I'm all ears. For example, I've seen videos of these with winey sounding RFID locks. Cool function, but it sounds like crap. I'd much rather install a some kind of magnetic switch, although I haven't found one that would work for this application yet.

wood.jpg

white.jpg

Second, I need to design my medallion/logo, and I need some ideas. If I could get some examples of yall's medallions that'll get me started. Or just advice on what it should contain would be helpful. I reserved the name Rooster's Woodshop.com so it'll have at least a rooster and my domain name. Just recently, I've discovered how cheaply you can get digital art done by real professionals on sites like Freelancer or Upwork, so I'll be using a digital design trained person to generate the piece.

Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
What is behind the doors? If you are going to use beadboard I suggest you look at cabinet doors especially those used for kitchens to get router details. Usually they keep it subtle and simple because the beadboard is the highlight. You could put a small bead around the outside of the frame as well to tie the frame to the beadboard. To me I am a raised panel guy. Not a fan of beadboard. It is old fashion but as I say that my Brother will be doing his kitchen over and that is the pattern they want. My thoughts on the medallion, personally I hate it. I do not like when people stick their names or logos on a piece of furniture. Put the name inside if you want to advertise because that is all it is advertisement. These are not modern shelves, more rustic design, so if you want to put roosters or designs like that on them to dress up that is fine. These are my personal opinions so do not shoot the messenger. Again to get more detailed ideas look at kitchen cabinet doors. Plenty of designs and you can see wood choices. You can do so much with a small door like that. Instead of miters use plinth blocks, or rosette blocks or fancy corner blocks in the corners.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/117089...3112&msclkid=07e91d8754a811ad94527b783852c095

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=concealment+coat+racks&form=HDRSC3&first=1

Seems like this is a gun cabinet from the ones I have seen. Not so much on concealment

Last edited:
For a medallion or logo, you could get something small designed, then have a machine shop cut the reverse from brass for a branding iron. A small rectangal or circle with the words of your brand and "handmade by" or similar, including a line or space to date the piece (if you like doing that)

Back
Top Bottom