Turning Tool Revisited

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I bought this Sorby spindlemaster a couple of years ago but never really gave it much of a try. Now that I'm retired, I have more time, so I gave it another try. I must say, this may be my new goto pen turning tool. In the past, I was trying to use the tip, making it very hard to control. I watched a few videos and found out the correct cutting edge is on the sides. Huge improvement, easy to control and it leaves a tool mark free surface. It's very simple to sharpen, as you only hone the flat side. The picture of the piece in the lathe, is straight from the tool, absolutely no sanding. The one I have is the micro size. Cutting edge is about 1/2 inch and the overall tool length is 10 inches. They make different sizes. I'm glad I gave it another shot.

Attachments

• IMG_4903.jpeg
    IMG_4903.jpeg
    219.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_4904.jpeg
    IMG_4904.jpeg
    185.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_4905.jpeg
    IMG_4905.jpeg
    220.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_4906.jpeg
    IMG_4906.jpeg
    388.4 KB · Views: 101
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Looks like a wonderful tool for turning all sorts of projects. I'm glad you are enjoying it so much.

I'd like to buy a fingernail gouge to turn with, but one really needs to invest in a good sharpening system, and jig.

I don't have either, and have run out of space for more benchtop tools.

Looks like a wonderful tool for turning all sorts of projects. I'm glad you are enjoying it so much.

I'd like to buy a fingernail gouge to turn with, but one really needs to invest in a good sharpening system, and jig.

I don't have either, and have run out of space for more benchtop tools.
That's another thing I like about this tool, to sharpen it you just need to hone the flat side, no special sharpening jig needed.

I bought one years ago when the hype was when they first appeared on the market. It is collecting dust now. maybe used a few times. When I learned to use the skew that was the end of scrapers for pens. The skew to me is still the king of the turning tools and most versatile tool and highly recommend others to learn this tool.

I bought one years ago when the hype was when they first appeared on the market. It is collecting dust now. maybe used a few times. When I learned to use the skew that was the end of scrapers for pens. The skew to me is still the king of the turning tools and most versatile tool and highly recommend others to learn this tool.
I agree with you except for the fact that a spindle master is not a scrapping tool. If that's how anyone is using it, they're using it wrong. I've seen people use skews as scrapping tools, so there's that.

I agree with you except for the fact that a spindle master is not a scrapping tool. If that's how anyone is using it, they're using it wrong. I've seen people use skews as scrapping tools, so there's that.
Call it what you like. If you want to buy a sorby one let me know.:)

John: Any turning tool that used in shear mode is very effective in clean no tear of fibers cutting.

I had a 1/2" Sorby Spindlemaster and used it occasionally. I am not sure why, but it was not a preferred chisel (I had other chisels I liked - Red handled Sorby mini set - I loved them), but when I used it, it was superb! As noted above, easy honing kept it sharp. I loved cutting coves and finials with it. When I bought it at a local Woodcraft store, the salesman/demo master said "it looks unimpressive, but the title - "Spindlemaster" says it all - it is a great tool for many applications."

Agree with John! Skew is the way on spindle turning!

Back
Top Bottom