Turning synthetic blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Using synthetic as a generic term. Working on a pen right now but finding it takes a loooong tome to turn it down, especially if a Slimline or small diameter pen. I have pondered trimming the four sides on the bandsaw. Anyone done this? As we know, wood turns down real fast. TIA.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I do this now as part of my standard turning regimen, with synthetics as well as with woods. The jig I use not only trims the excess off of the sides, but it also trims the corners off so I am starting with an octagonal blank that is cut down fairly close to the bushings. I have a tutorial in the resources library that shows more about it. Link = Blank Rounding Jig for the Bandsaw Tutorial. It would have been magnitudes easier if I could have made the octagonal pieces by cutting them out with a laser or better yet have built them up using a 3D printer. Of course a very simple version is easy to make by just making the ends out of a couple of square pieces of wood (as shown near the end of the tutorial).

Dave

I have a router table that has two routers in it for different use. It is always ready to use and I keep the router bits in the table. I put a round-over bit in and turn the corners off. I usually use a 5/16 in round over most of the time but occasionally use a 3/8" round over.

Have to tell you I do not agree with anyone who wants to use other tools to make turning down acrylics or metals or wood or anything else to make it go faster. Now if you are having problems with corners blowing up and things like that then go for it but at some time I do hope you learn to use turning tools for what they are designed for and that is turning things round on a lathe. routers and bandsaw and tools like that are designed for other work details. Stop and think, you are not doing a thing faster if you have to now incorporate another tool to turn a simple pen blank round. The steps to use those tools have now taken away any speed. I know this will rile many here because of the tone but my suggestion is to buy a good carbide cutting tool and put a round cutter on at it and learn to use this to get your blanks to size and shape and then switch to a skew to hone in on perfection. You will be surprised how fast a blank can be spun down with sharp carbide. That is all materials. This is my opinion so do not shoot the messenger. I have never used any other tool to turn a blank down and I have turned just about all materials. A lathe is made to turn things round. At first I was skeptical about carbide tools but have become a huge fan and use them on all blanks now.

I use a bench belt sander. Usually put the bushings on, and pencil mark around the bushings so I have an idea where I need to get to. if nothing else, to round off the corners. Saves a lot of time turning. I'll add, I have been turning for over 50 years, every material imaginable, and have made probably close to 2000 pens.

"Eight-siding" a blank does save time vs. going directly to the lathe with a full blank. The four cuts removes more material in the cutting time than would be taken during an all lathe operation with a full blank. I sometimes eight-side very hard wood and those pesky cross-cut blanks.

Have to tell you I do not agree with anyone who wants to use other tools to make turning down acrylics or metals or wood or anything else to make it go faster. Now if you are having problems with corners blowing up and things like that then go for it but at some time I do hope you learn to use turning tools for what they are designed for and that is turning things round on a lathe. routers and bandsaw and tools like that are designed for other work details. Stop and think, you are not doing a thing faster if you have to now incorporate another tool to turn a simple pen blank round. The steps to use those tools have now taken away any speed. I know this will rile many here because of the tone but my suggestion is to buy a good carbide cutting tool and put a round cutter on at it and learn to use this to get your blanks to size and shape and then switch to a skew to hone in on perfection. You will be surprised how fast a blank can be spun down with sharp carbide. That is all materials. This is my opinion so do not shoot the messenger. I have never used any other tool to turn a blank down and I have turned just about all materials. A lathe is made to turn things round. At first I was skeptical about carbide tools but have become a huge fan and use them on all blanks now.
I understand what you are saying but I can cut off a bit of a square blank in no time. I have done time and motion study so I'll compare the time to cut on the BS and turn to dimension as opposed to turning the square blank down on the lathe. As for carbide tools, I can't see duplicating what I have now.

Exotic Blanks just had a free 2 hour zoom demo last night on the different types of acrylics and alternative materials with tips and discussion on turning them.
Many of us sand or cut the corners off of harder material to make the beginning turning easier and minimize chipping or blowouts. Turning other than wood requires you to have very sharp tools and less aggressive techniques, letting the tool cut and not force it. As you learn your tools and techniques these materials will become easier to turn. Just have fun with it and be safe.

I am with Ken on this. To me segmented blanks may need the extra help getting down to turning size because any tool introduced to a complex and delicate segmented blanks presents challenges and also shock waves as the tool hits those corners. But on square 3/4" to 1" blanks and I do not care if they are chippy or not. soon or later you will have to use a turning tool to cut down and taking corners off just delays the inevitable. If you can not learn to turn all materials then maybe you need schooling on how to. Many videos out there.

I understand what you are saying but I can cut off a bit of a square blank in no time. I have done time and motion study so I'll compare the time to cut on the BS and turn to dimension as opposed to turning the square blank down on the lathe. As for carbide tools, I can't see duplicating what I have now.
My question to you is are you really in that much of a hurry to make a pen. ?? As for carbide tools go, you are into this hobby alot now so what is a good carbide cutter and all I am saying is a round cutter will do the trick believe when I say this. I was hesitant when I started also then went to carbide and made a world of difference. Now all I am doing here is sharing what knowledge I gathered on my own and from other members over the years. No I do not make 2000 pens and nor will I ever do. but if you are into mass producing then having stations to do certain task is very good for you. Everyone has their method and what works for them If you feel the need to sand, cut, or route corners go for it and have fun. But learn to use the turning tools and you will be that much further ahead of the curve. I will not argue that some materials are harder than others but there is nothing harder than turning a segmented blank with metals and acrylics in it.

Good luck and Happy Turning.

I have learned how to cut the edges off of a square aluminum blank and brittle wood and brittle acrylic spinning on the lathe with a tool. But I still prefer rounding the edges with a carbide router bit on difficult, brittle and extra hard square blanks. For me, it is smooth and quicker getting to a near round blank without the dangers of breaking, cracking or catching a snag with a tool. I don't ram the squares into the router bit, but run it in a smooth motion. I will admit that this might not be best for someone who is not proficient with routers or router table knowledge - i.e. which direction to move it. A quality router and bit with no vibrations and sharp carbide will remove the edges with less damage than the shock of a round carbide insert at 2000 rpm on each corner over the minute or two to get it round or near round.

I do not use a router bit on delicate segmented blanks. Delicate segmented blanks are like individuals, and each one has to be evaluated on which method to use.

I was taught to work smarter not harder. If you have a trick or tip to make the job easier why not do it. There's no "Man Code" that says you have to do everything a certain way. Isn't that why we have these other tools. My landline phone still works but I like to use my cell more often. 😬

I was taught to work smarter not harder. If you have a trick or tip to make the job easier why not do it. There's no "Man Code" that says you have to do everything a certain way. Isn't that why we have these other tools. My landline phone still works but I like to use my cell more often. 😬
You are right John. There is no Man Code or Women Code when it comes to doing anything in the world. Many times there is no exact way to do things but a multiple of ways to get the job done. You want to do the job in the safest way and easiest way. If using a router or a sander or a bandsaw or a tablesaw to cut the blanks down to a better size to work with and save from turning so much material off on the lathe than by all means do so but again now you are introducing tools that are even more dangerous than what you started out to use to get to that final result. Working with such a small piece of material will require safety jigs and clamps for holding it as you pass it through a higher speeding object such as a blade or router bit. Router bits can cause the same shock waves and create the same chipping in certain materials so be aware of that. With woods it can cause rip out if fed the wrong way against the grain. Or if a wood is full of burls. To use those tools I sure hope you learned to use them properly and just with what you do John with all the videos and seminars there are those for those type tools out there too so please learn your tools. Which brings me back to the lathe and the very tools designed for using at the lathe. They make all kinds of turning tools to make the job easier and safer such as the Spindle master and now carbide cutters and just lately negative rake carbide cutter which are designed to help with the chip outs and rip outs. Why not work easier and learn these tools. Isn't that why they were designed for the lathe. ? I too have a landline and most calls come through on my cell. Does not mean I will be getting rid of the landline. Heck when I first got the cell phone I had to learn how to use it and I am sure with each new variation of cell phones being introduced to the public there is a learning curve. Same goes with computers and the list can go on. My bottom line point here is why not take the time to learn how to use the turning tools that can spin down a simple pen blank. If it requires purchasing a new tool or toy, why not. This is not a cheap hobby. The skills you develop on the lathe can translate to far more turning projects than a simple pen. Just like learning all those other tools that you are introducing into pen making can be used for other projects. But above all safety and knowledge are key factors. This is my last word from me on this subject because I do feel the push back as I thought there would be.

Stay safe. Make some beautiful pens. And make sure you post them so we all can enjoy. But most of all have fun. Now there is a call on my landline I have to take. :)

I think we are saying the same thing. Use what you have to make the jobs easier while being safe. I usually choose to use the belt sander if I need to know down a corner or something. It doesn't tear or care what grain pattern it touches, and works great on acrylics as long as you dont dry them too hot. Also, no need for spending money on extra jigs or set ups. It just makes a lot more dust!!! My vac helps with that.
Good luck all!

When I really started my woodworking journey, there was no internet. The only way to get information, was through books and periodicals. I felt a lot of tribal knowledge was being passed down and sometimes there was just no basis. I would be really surprised to read, I think in a book about turning on the lathe there was ONLY one correct method. I really balked at that. What they really should have been saying is "I learned this method, and therefore it is the only correct one". I called BS on that mindset decades ago.

When I really started my woodworking journey, there was no internet. The only way to get information, was through books and periodicals. I felt a lot of tribal knowledge was being passed down and sometimes there was just no basis. I would be really surprised to read, I think in a book about turning on the lathe there was ONLY one correct method. I really balked at that. What they really should have been saying is "I learned this method, and therefore it is the only correct one". I called BS on that mindset decades ago.
I agree , there's many ways to cross the finish line, the best way is the way that works for you.

And no one here is disputing this. As I said you can say that for anything we do in our life times. Words to live by. But from that same book we can learn things that are right and wrong to make a job safer so be careful.

With apologies to Mr. Twain; "...if you can't get there by your own road, don't go."
To morph the thread even more. Samuel Clemens (aka Mark Twain) married a Langdon from my hometown of Elmira NY. He is buried only a few yards away from where I grew up.

Last edited:
I just saw him on an episode of Gunsmoke this past week. :) And then again another episode on Bonanza and Ben Cartwright was talking to him. Man sure gets around.

Back
Top Bottom