Tree ID

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

Wasn't sure what forum this would fit best in so here it is.
Can someone help me ID this tree? I was thinking hackberry, but the leaves seem to branch out differently. It's a fast grower for sure, sprung up to about 12' in maybe 2 years, and it was not planted there purposely. I have pics of the leaves, the lower trunk (maybe 3" diameter) and an upper part of the trunk. I'm looking for something somewhat fast growing for a little shade in the front yard and this might be a good candidate if there aren't any huge drawbacks.

20220502_142928.jpg 20220502_143008.jpg 20220502_143044.jpg 20220502_143438.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
It looks like the hackberry trees I have in the backyard. They will spread like mad and I keep some and cut down others. I think right now I have five in the backyard. They will develop Hackberry galls on the bottom of the leaves which are unsightly but don't hurt the tree. I haven't found out how to get rid of them

Thanks everyone.

That's a Hackberry.
My plant ID app says "Sugar Hackberry" or "Sugarberry"
PlantNet said that was the closest match, too. The pictures didn't quite match up 100% to me, so I wanted to get some other opinions. Sounds like we have a couple more hackberry IDs now.

It looks like the hackberry trees I have in the backyard. They will spread like mad and I keep some and cut down others. I think right now I have five in the backyard. They will develop Hackberry galls on the bottom of the leaves which are unsightly but don't hurt the tree. I haven't found out how to get rid of them
Hmm, that sounds a little scary. Apparently keeping them under control is quite a problem. Then I found this little tidbit. Yeah, I'll keep cutting them down.

1651538218623.png

Except for how fast it grew, I'd guess Carolina Silver bell. The leaves and bark are pretty similar to what I found here: https://nysufc.org/underutilized-trees-for-urban-use-carolina-silverbell/2019/10/19/#
That's an interesting tree. I didn't see anything like blooms/buds forming, but the leaves look pretty close.

Whatever it was, it was. There are a couple less walnut and maple saplings over there now, too. None of it can be as bad as the grapevines! As soon as my neighbors planted grapes, I knew I was in big trouble. Those things will choke out anything.

Back
Top Bottom