Tool Gloat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

I gots me a new wood lathe, after reading all of the comments and talking to a couple of folks that actually had them, I am now the satisfied owner of a Harbor Freight T34706 12x 33-1/2 lathe.
My SIL and I braved the sub freezing temperatures New years day and drove to Jackson TN grabbed the only one they had, and brought it home, 186.75 out the door, it went together very easy and with in an hour we had it spitting out chunks of NASTY DRY Red Western Cedar, thank heavens the wife was at work, I like the smell of our Juniper/ Eastern cedar way better.
Now I have 2 lathes and a SIL that got interested in turning enough to turn a handle for his own Woodchuck,(the proper way with the tool the handle was being made for) So I am happy to say if it gets above freezing the next week, I might cut up some cherry I have on the porch and make a bowl that doesn't stink up the house.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hey Ken, Great buy for sure. So it sounds as if you are satisfied with the harbor freight "T34706 12x 33-1/2 lathe". Motor strong and head/tail stock line up good? Just curious as I am thinking about going and buy me one.

Hey Ken, Great buy for sure. So it sounds as if you are satisfied with the harbor freight "T34706 12x 33-1/2 lathe". Motor strong and head/tail stock line up good? Just curious as I am thinking about going and buy me one.

The live center that is supplied and the spur are the weak points of the machine, I put my Nova live center and my PSI steb center and they lined up pretty well, Don't get me wrong it's no Nova or Powermatic, but the 3/4 hp motor should be enough for the turning I do.
The tool rest is kind of strange, it was last night before I figured out that it came apart, I was getting cornfused, until I realized that I could get closer to the head stock by removing the middle section, which I guess is used for the outboard turning, and I think I'll try that after I get a little more comfortable with the lathe.
The casting looks clean and I checked the surface of the bed way and it's ground level and has a decent ground surface and every thing fits well and every thing went together very easily.
I do wish it had a heavier stand, but some angle Iron and sandbags will help that.

Back
Top Bottom