time between coats

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I apply them one after the other. No longer than one minute or so...maybe two at the most. As long as it takes to stop the lathe, refold the paper towel or get a new piece ready and off I go for the next coat.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by gsdoby
<br />How long should I allow for drying between coats of CA finish

it really depends on what viscosity of CA you use. all thin, not long at all.

i can't speak for med and thick cause i don't use those to finish with.

CA is no different from any other finish. It is ready for the next coat when the previous coat comes off as a dry white powder on 0000-steel wool. It is easier to smooth the surface after each coat than to wait until there are several coats.

Remember that subsequent coats of CA do not melt into the finish under it. The steel wool between ciats will leave a surface that the nextcan bond to much better than on top of a gloss.

Russ uses steel wool but I don't. Just supports even more what Russ posted a week or so ago. CA is really an easy finish and almost anything works. We each should develop a technique that works in our shop and works almost (99 out of 100 is good success to shoot form[;)]) every time. It doesn't matter how Joe Blow does it. Read how those who have success do it....mix and mingle the various techniques to find out how CA works as a finish in your shop.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom