Thread Wrapping

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RNelson

I had the good fortune to see JohnnyMac's demo on Thread Wrapping at the MPG this spring in Chicago. Have others gone down this road? It has been very enjoyable ride so far. Thread Wrapping is new to me so any tips, tricks or thoughts are always welcome. This particular design is called The Maze. The designs are only limited to your imagination. My main source of info on this subject so far has been custom fishing rods on YouTube. I'm hoping others here have info to share.

Attachments

• Maze blank.jpg
    Maze blank.jpg
    347.3 KB · Views: 51
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I had the good fortune to see JohnnyMac's demo on Thread Wrapping at the MPG this spring in Chicago. Have others gone down this road? It has been very enjoyable ride so far. Thread Wrapping is new to me so any tips, tricks or thoughts are always welcome. This particular design is called The Maze. The designs are only limited to your imagination. My main source of info on this subject so far has been custom fishing rods on YouTube. I'm hoping others here have info to share.
WOW. How is this done?

WOW. How is this done?
Look at www.mudhol.com as they are the largest supplier of rod building components. There are also videos for this. I used to build custom fishing rods but those type wraps take a long time and one charges accordingly. Met a guy recently who took a week to do the wrap ahead of the grip. The wrap can cost more than the rest of the rod.

WOW. How is this done?
This is done with thread, wrapped in a crisscross pattern alternating number of threads wrapped & color combinations. As I have gotten into this process more, one of the things you find out, the threads you coverup are just as important in the design as the ones you see.

Ted Sachs was one of the best I ever seen here. I saw him on FB years ago and invited him to visit our site. He did so and share alot with us and in fact he got into selling his blanks to a vendor here. Not sure if he is still doing this or not. But if you want to see outstanding wraping check his out.

https://www.penturners.org/threads/some-pens-using-thread-wrapped-blanks.135953/

One of my all time favorites:

I have to admit I have seen this done on a pen before, some 6 or 7 years ago if memory serves me well. If i can dig up the photo I will try to find it. That was the launching pad for me to get into doing this. Then I quickly learned it is not as easy as it looks. the more complex the pattern the more threads you need and it is a learning curve. Well life and health got in the way and never did pursue it but it was always in the back of my mind. Along with other ideas. I always liked this look and they do it many colors
720buttwraps_001.jpg

This is an example of what i try to preach on this site all the time. Think outside the box. There are mediums to work in and ideas that have not even been touched. Along comes someone who has broken through and the next person can be you. I hope to see more such great artisan ideas come through here. I know I sound like a broken record by now but it is true.

Ted keep up the great work and thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Years ago I just did a regular wrap like used for fishing rod eyes and handles. That was tough enough for me and just makes me admire you work even more. I glued fishing flies and a spoon on top then cast in clear resin. It didn't pop like the patterns you made but it added a special touch to the story of the pen. Great work!!!

Back
Top Bottom