The Cat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

This was a project at this years MPG. I gave a demo on clear casting and needed a subject… Since the cat is a constant enthusiast at my blank table I thought it would be ideal to walk the attendees through the process of making a pen from a photograph of him.

This cats journey began when he was just a few weeks old and rescued along the river bank near my home town. My youngest was about 3 so we decided to adopt him a cat. He has grown to be the prince of the household and loves to sit and watch me make pen blanks. He takes an active role in rearranging my feathers and can often be found knocking my clear casting tubes off the table or moving my snakeskins, not to mention taking over my chair every time I get up and chewing on my can cookie. Im pretty sure if he had thumbs he would be making his own blanks.
The photo was a close up to highlight his eyes and has been a big hit with the cat lovers.
The finished pen is a gold and chrome diamond knurl from Exoticblanks. I thought it was only fitting to give this one to my son.

Attachments

• IMG_8204.jpeg
    IMG_8204.jpeg
    420.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_8205.jpeg
    IMG_8205.jpeg
    515.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_8097.jpeg
    IMG_8097.jpeg
    322.2 KB · Views: 106
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
We had a Devon Rex Cat that looked just like yours. Very special family members. Our's is sitting in my photo booth and would not budge from under the warmth of the lamp.

John, Superb blank and finished pen; and as you know, it will be treasured for many years! Well done.

Attachments

• IMG_0384.jpeg
    IMG_0384.jpeg
    279.1 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Woodchipper

Great idea! Not a cat person but like to watch the kittens at half time during the Puppy Bowl.
How about a tutorial for others who have dogs, fish, etc.

JohnU

Thanks for all the comments. I have a dog who would be jealous to know she doesn't have her own pen. I used to consider myself more of a dog person only because that's all I ever had. The cat has grown on me and I find him pretty cool, and much less needier than the dog. Lol. I thought about doing more but there are so many breeds that I wouldn't know where to begin.

Top Bottom