Tarnish on Rhodium? How can it be?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

I just found some tarnish looking spots on the nib and clip of a kit that is supposed to be Rhodium. I was very surprised as Rhodium really doesn't tarnish, but of course if it was plated too thin on top of nickel I guess the nickel might tarnish in the thin areas? Anyhow, I swabbed the areas with some denatured alcohol and they seemed to go away - mostly anyway. Then for just a little insurance I put on some Renaissance wax as a barrier. I hope that works, but only time will tell. Of course I have a half dozen more of those kits arriving in the mail today.

Dave

PatrickR

I'd guess you are correct in your assumption, a very thin coating of rhodium. since it tarnished once it will again in time. There was a discussion here recently about the increased price of rhodium and the lack of it being offered in current kits.

Rhodium is a a platinum alloy that is commonly used for plating metals to make them that shiny silver color. As an example, white gold is always plated in rhodium and that wear off which leaves the ring with a yellowish tint as there is no such things as "white gold" but rather gold mixed with white alloys that also include rhodium. Those rings are re-plated to make them the shiny silver again.

So yes, it would likely be that the plating has worn off in that spot. Rhodium itself does not tarnish like other metls. Maybe contact the seller or manufacturer for this kit, especially if it was an expensive one, about a replacement.

Top Bottom