Starting this big old generator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I've just been given a hoss of an electric generator that hasn't been started in a few years and isn't starting now. The pictures don't show but it's a hand pull start. Any advice on how to get it going again? Drain all the fuel of course, but beyond that? I suppose it would involve breaking the carburetor down and cleaning it.

genny 1.JPG
genny 2.JPG

genny 3.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I've just been given a hoss of an electric generator that hasn't been started in a few years and isn't starting now. The pictures don't show but it's a hand pull start. Any advice on how to get it going again? Drain all the fuel of course, but beyond that? I suppose it would involve breaking the carburetor down and cleaning it.

View attachment 375889View attachment 375890
View attachment 375891
Once you clean the tank from any debris or old fuel (also check for signs of rust) break down the carb. You need to clean the pilot jet ( i think its called like that in english) its a hollow needle like screw, with compressed air. You can also use a carb cleaner. Then check the floater if it works freely; take care not to damage the gasket between the lower part of the carb ( in greek slang its called cup i dunno the term in english) and the main body. Also once you take the carb apart clean the cup inside from any dirt that has been accumulated. Also check the air filter just in case. Cheers

I have a 2400 watt that I tried to start last year after having been sat for over a year. Hard as I might it just wouldnt start.
I read the 'instructions' on the unit, for some strange reason :rolleyes:
Said the unit would not start if oil was low. I checked the oil and it WAS low. I added oil and first pull, Wham Bam Thank you Ma'am it started right up.

Just to maybe save you some time and heartache.

Like said, check all the obvious first. Spark plug, oil level, air cleaner gas valve, choke, fresh gas, see if it has a primer.. Could use starter fluid. But with any of those small engines the carb is always a source of problems.

After cleaning the carb and gas system, checking the oil, and all of the other stuff, try using an ether based Starting Spray. Shoot a couple of bursts into the air cleaner. It has always worked wonders for me, especially on a cranky chainsaw I have. - Dave

Last edited:
All this ethanol really gums up stuff. The carbs on these things are pretty simple to pull apart and clean. Get some cheap cans of carb cleaner and go for it. Plus check all the other things mentioned above.

Last edited:
Hehe, we all had the same suggestions. Congrats on the free gift, and good luck getting it back in operating condition.

I learned this stuff from riding motorcycles as a kid, having my own lawn mowing biz at age 12, and from using and abusing chainsaws on our 300 acres growing up. It's a primary reason why all our lawn and snow remove equipment is battery operated now.

Small engine maintenance is steady job looking for a place to happen.

Carburetor Cleaner can be your friend, but wear Nitryl Gloves. I had a painful, stinging-burning sensation lesson learned a year or so ago. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the acetone, I don't think it was the toluene or methanol as I have had these solvents in contact with my skin on previous occasions without any issues. Maybe it was the ethyl benzene or just the combination, but wowie owie. - Dave

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Yes it always seems to be the carburator on these small engines. I haven't learned to deal with small engine carburators yet which is the exact reason I have three Poulian chainsaws that don't run. I'll look up carb cleaning videos for this model and get on it.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Yes it always seems to be the carburator on these small engines. I haven't learned to deal with small engine carburators yet which is the exact reason I have three Poulian chainsaws that don't run. I'll look up carb cleaning videos for this model and get on it.
I'm not an expert on carbs but I have taken a few off small engines to clean. First thing to do is take pictures of anything you take apart so you have reference to put back together ie.. linkage, needle valve. Be careful with gaskets. Most times you can reuse them if they don't tear. The 3 major things are cleaning old gas from the bowl, taking the needle valve out and cleaning it. This is where your float mounts to and is usually just a little pin holding it all together. Next is having a skinny screwdriver to unscrew your jet to take it out and spray carb cleaner thru it. If you hold that jet up to light and look inside, you should see daylight. If not, then it's clogged. Spray out any holes you see in the carb body. It's really not hard to clean these little carbs and I'm sure you can find lots of videos on it. Good luck!

That made me chuckle...making a pen or two! Loved it.

Never thought all this would be so inexpensive. Carburetor, air filter, gas filter and plug for $30 on the Amazon.

I'm seeing new versions of these for $699. What should I ask for this one once it's up and running again?

Just to note, you can probably buy a new carburetor on Amazon for about $15 buck. Look up the engine part manual online to get the carburetor part number. I have changed mine on one of my generators and also the tiller. EasyPeasy. Just saying
…….Smokey😎

Back
Top Bottom