Some process photographs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

For those who are interested in segmenting here's some photographs of how I made a recent blank which includes Spectraply. IMG_0690.JPGIMG_0692.JPGIMG_0695.JPGIMG_0696.JPGIMG_0697.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Alan I have said this to you before, you have come a long way with your segmenting and it shows tremendously. Those that have dabbled in segmenting of any kind realize the time and effort put forth. Thanks for the progress photos. Hopefully others would take up this artform and do it the old fashion way. I much more enjoy seeing hand made blanks than laser cut any day. :)

Woodchipper

"Why is that pen so expensive?" "There are XX pieces that took OO hours to cut. The more time to glue them up and then time to turn for the pan."
Picture worth 1,000 words. Alan, how do you hold the close tolerances for fitting the pieces? What glue do you use? My complements on an outstanding segmented blank.

Alan Morrison

Alan I have said this to you before, you have come a long way with your segmenting and it shows tremendously. Those that have dabbled in segmenting of any kind realize the time and effort put forth. Thanks for the progress photos. Hopefully others would take up this artform and do it the old fashion way. I much more enjoy seeing hand made blanks than laser cut any day. :)
John, thank you for your encouragement. It means a lot.
I think that there would have to be a lot more initial planning if using a laser than what I do......I just start with a basic idea, use offcuts at hand, and then make it up as I go along.

Alan Morrison

That's a great looking blank! I could foresee the process but you sure make it look easier than it really is. Your precision is spot on! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks, John U. I put the photographs up to show how easy it really is. The most difficult part is glueing the spectraply cross. After that it nearly makes itself!

Alan Morrison

"Why is that pen so expensive?" "There are XX pieces that took OO hours to cut. The more time to glue them up and then time to turn for the pan."
Picture worth 1,000 words. Alan, how do you hold the close tolerances for fitting the pieces? What glue do you use? My complements on an outstanding segmented blank.
Another John!
John, thanks for your comments. I have to confess that the blank looks more complicated than it really is.
The cross has to be glued with CA and that is the difficult bit, but once it is together and hopefully with 90 degree corners, then the other bits just fit in no problem. I then use carpenter's glue as I can then clamp.
I usually have a lot of pieces that are cut to 45 degrees at hand, so once the cross is set I pick out what I think matches, and that's all.

jrista

Thanks for sharing, Alan! Always love seeing how you make your blanks.

How is it working with the spectraply? Does it hold together well when cutting small pieces like that?

Alan Morrison

I never get tired of seeing your creativity. And as mentioned above, seeing the process is very illuminating how the design comes together. Superb artistry Alan. ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ‘
@mark james .Thank you, my friend. If I hadnt tried to copy your spectraply cross pen a few years back, along with your encouragement along the way, ( and the gift of the spectraply ) I would not be making these blanks today.
I am running a couple of laps with the baton that you have passed on.
Hope that all is well with the both of you.
Alan

Alan Morrison

Thanks for sharing, Alan! Always love seeing how you make your blanks.

How is it working with the spectraply? Does it hold together well when cutting small pieces like that?
The spectraply is cut from a blank on the table saw with the guage set at 45 degrees. The slices hold together well, and even thinner than shown here.
I only had issues turning spectraply when I was turning the end grain. ( only happened when experimenting with a couple of blanks which were mainly end grain )
Glad that you like the photographs, Jon.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
@mark james .Thank you, my friend. If I hadnt tried to copy your spectraply cross pen a few years back, along with your encouragement along the way, ( and the gift of the spectraply ) I would not be making these blanks today.
I am running a couple of laps with the baton that you have passed on.
Hope that all is well with the both of you.
Alan
Please, keep running with the baton! It is a thrill to see the next runner advance. ๐Ÿ™

Top Bottom