Small Heritance Thread Issues

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Simplex

I've run into a bit of an issue and wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience. I have a M6.4 x 0.5 tap that I used to cut threads in aluminum to accommodate the small Heritance FP feed and housing. I used a 5.9mm drill bit to cut the hole. After I cut the threads I tried to screw in the feed/housing but it took a considerable amount of effort and when I pulled it back out the threads on the feed were completely marred up. The threads in the aluminum were perfect and the feed was lined up perfectly when I started screwing it in to the front section I made. I did notice some flashing on the feed housing in two spots that ran the length of the threads; not sure if that has anything to do with it though.

Right now I have two kit-less fountain pens that can't be used or sold until I resolve this.

Has anyone else had issues like this? Thanks for your help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Yes the plastic feeds sometimes are out of round or have small flashing fins. I drill a 1/4 thick piece of brass and tap it with the tap and then run it up and down the feed threads by hand until the threads are cleaned up a bit. Kind of a thread chaser.

Also I use a "C" drill bit which is slightly larger than the 5.9mm bit. I know that the .5 is supposed to be subtracted from the 6.4 but thats in a perfect setup we found it works best if you drill a slighty oversized hole hence the C drill bit.

Sorry Haynie but those are the right threads.

Last edited:

Simplex

The thread dimensions are definitely correct. Maybe it is a combo between the flashing and my drill bit. I'm thinking that I might need to chase the 5.9 mm hole with a "C" bit then run the tap back through it.

Texatdurango

......Has anyone else had issues like this? Thanks for your help.

Yes, with about 1/3 of the #5 Heritance feeds I bought! Lou's suggestion was to buy one of his dies to clean the threads up.

My thinking was that I paid for new feeds, why should I buy an expensive die to repair them before I even used them so my solution was slightly different than his, I returned over 25 for replacements and still got a handful of feeds needing chasing.

Top Bottom