Sherline 4400?? CORRECTION--4000!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I got a call asking for help on how to make pens.

Turns out the customer is trying to use a Sherline 4000. I suggested she join this forum.

So, if you are familiar with this lathe and are willing to share some methods, it would be a great help.

Thanks to anyone who can make suggestions from experience.

Ed

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Sherline in its basic wood lathe set up is/was very similar to Taig. some parts were interchangeable. I still have my Taig somewhere; and I got started in pen turning with that lathe in 2004. I think there are two or three, maybe more pen turners here that use Taig and Sherline lathes.

Hi Hank,
I hope the young lady took my advice and became a member here.
If so, she will probably get more answers than I do. After looking at the device, it appears to be very similar to my metal lathe
and I have no idea how to make a sloping cut with it. So, as long as she turns pens that use straight barrels, it will work.

Beyond that, you are, as they say, "Out of my pay grade!"

Thanks for your input!!

Ed

You can remove the metal lathe compound slide and install a standard tool post holder and wood lathe tool post bar. You can then use standard wood turning tools.

I did that on my Grizzly G4000 (9x20) Metal Lathe. It was fairly easy. I used a 1" square piece of steel and drilled holes to mount to the t slots in the cross slide and a hole to clamp the tool post. Done. Be sure to clean any wood off the lathe immediately as it can rust the bed!

I don't do that any more as my Nova DVR-XP works much better.

I got a call asking for help on how to make pens.

Turns out the customer is trying to use a Sherline 4000. I suggested she join this forum.

So, if you are familiar with this lathe and are willing to share some methods, it would be a great help.

Thanks to anyone who can make suggestions from experience.

Ed
That's me I'm the problem child! Hahaha

April; Do you have the Sherline tail stock? You will need a MT1 pen mandrel, 60 degree tail stock center, and a way to hold a tool post.

This lathe is rather small even for pens. The pen mandrel is about 7-1/2" long. you will need this much clearance between the head stock and tail stock center.

Small tool posts have a 5/8" post.

You can remove the tool holder (compound) slide and make a short piece of square steel stock to mount on the cross slide with T bolts. Drill a vertical hole in the stock and tap a hole for a clamping tool.

I looked and Ed does not have appear to have the pen mandrel you need, but here is one that will fit your lathe.
MT1 pen mandrel:
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKM-ELC.htm

April; Do you have the Sherline tail stock? You will need a MT1 pen mandrel, 60 degree tail stock center, and a way to hold a tool post.

This lathe is rather small even for pens. The pen mandrel is about 7-1/2" long. you will need this much clearance between the head stock and tail stock center.

Small tool posts have a 5/8" post.

You can remove the tool holder (compound) slide and make a short piece of square steel stock to mount on the cross slide with T bolts. Drill a vertical hole in the stock and tap a hole for a clamping tool.

I looked and Ed does not have appear to have the pen mandrel you need, but here is one that will fit your lathe.
MT1 pen mandrel:
https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKM-ELC.htm
That's where I am at a fork, should I sink in more money for the lathe I have or look into getting a new one.

That's where I am at a fork, should I sink in more money for the lathe I have or look into getting a new one.
If you want to get into pen making and/or woodturning, Look for a woodturning club in your area. AAW has chapters all over. https://www.woodturner.org/Woodturn...pter/Woodturner/AAWConnects/AAW-Connects.aspx

Woodturning clubs have members that turn pens and often know of used equipment that is for sale.

Woodcraft Supply has stores and classes in various fields of woodworking and wood turning. They will have the lathes and tools on hand so you don't need to purchase anything. They often have clubs that are associated with them and likely know of clubs in your area.

Lastly; Check out the "Members", "Members Map" for anyone in your area.

If you want to get into pen making and/or woodturning, Look for a woodturning club in your area. AAW has chapters all over. https://www.woodturner.org/Woodturn...pter/Woodturner/AAWConnects/AAW-Connects.aspx

Woodturning clubs have members that turn pens and often know of used equipment that is for sale.

Woodcraft Supply has stores and classes in various fields of woodworking and wood turning. They will have the lathes and tools on hand so you don't need to purchase anything. They often have clubs that are associated with them and likely know of clubs in your area.

Lastly; Check out the "Members", "Members Map" for anyone in your area.
Randy gave some Excellent help and advice!

I tried the link for where I am and it kept giving an error of timed out by the host. It was the only one in my area not 2-3 hours away.

Edit: Sorry, I just re-read your post. These old eyes don't read as many words at a time as they used to read. (Too much reading tiny kanji characters which caused cataracts 🤣 )

Sometimes the error message means that chapter may have closed. That is what happened to the nearest one to me a couple of years ago.

Try this:

click on "Communities"
then at the drop down click on
"Find a" (Directories)

then click on
"Chapter"

then type in your state for the chapters.

Last edited:
Zoom started out as video conferencing software. There is a free version, and levels of paid subscriptions. None are very expensive. You need a microphone and speaker. A video camera is highly desired, but optional.

During covid, Zoom really took off as a platform! When people could not meet physically, demonstrations by Professional Woodturners were difficult. Many presenters now use Zoom exclusively to do Demonstrations. The advantages to the presenter is: no travel, home shop, known equipment, and video recording.

Many groups now meet by Zoom because of convenience and low cost. It is almost as good as being in person and in some ways better.

Sorry I should clarify, what are the tropics for the zoom meeting? Basic pen turning, live classes?

The topics vary. BUT they are for Woodturning, not Pen Making. I enjoy the sessions because I can always pick up a few techniques that i can use in making and finishing pens. I may try to make an off centered ie three sided pen.

I tried to start a Zoom for pen making but it fizzled out... :confused:
I am mostly an idea person, organization and pressing people to do something are not my strong suites.

Back
Top Bottom