Segmenting Glue Up Jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Some blanks I make require gluing full length stripes. They also need to be perfectly square. I've always used small clamps with the segments sandwiched between plastic strips. It works but it's very easy to end up with mismatched pieces and out of square. I came up with this jig today. It's spring loaded with no sideways force. I can also see from the ends if it is still square. It's two sided, glue up's are completely surrounded with hdpe plastic so glue won't stick to it. I'll put some spacers in the ends, slightly larger than my segments, glue them up, drop them in and remove the little spacers. Top is all accessible so I can make sure everything is pushed down.

Attachments

• IMG_4747.jpeg
    IMG_4747.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_4744.jpeg
    IMG_4744.jpeg
    320.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4746.jpeg
    IMG_4746.jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 100
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I already updated it. Replaced the lag bolts with a threaded rod. Much better. It won't close all the way now so I'll make a new set of "jaws", tomorrow. Wing nuts make adjustment easy peasy and the castle nuts on the end so I don't need a band aid.

Last edited:
Not to be picky but those are acorn nuts on the ends. Castle nuts are similar to spindle nuts that are used with wheel bearings.

Not to be picky but those are acorn nuts on the ends. Castle nuts are similar to spindle nuts that are used with wheel bearings.
You are correct, no idea why I called them castle nuts. Old age I guess.

I don't need one because I have pretty much given up on segmenting. Everything always seems to turn to poop for me. Even so, your post is making me want to build a jig like yours. I don't suppose you have a jig idea that would work good for simple diagonal sliced segments to keep them from sliding apart under pressure? - Dave

I don't need one because I have pretty much given up on segmenting. Everything always seems to turn to poop for me. Even so, your post is making me want to build a jig like yours. I don't suppose you have a jig idea that would work good for simple diagonal sliced segments to keep them from sliding apart under pressure? - Dave
For those I usually use a jig like John showed.

That's what I have been doing, but yours is so elegant. I enjoy making jigs as much as I like using them. It's just a self gratification thing I guess. - Dave
I agree, I love making jigs. This last one is kind of a single purpose, not suitable for angled cuts.

Back
Top Bottom