Removing Paint from Celluloid

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Valerian_pens

Hello all. I am new and not sure if this question should go here.

But I have a celluloid rotring Tintenkuli that has its black paint fading away to the point of semi transparency.

If I could without damaging the pen its self, id rather just remove the paint completely.

Is there any method of removing the paint without affecting the celluloid? Id be open to simply polishing and scraping, though the threaded area where the piston screws in would be a challenge.
17214223018004833552823013396095.jpg

I had no idea of what you were talking about until I copied and pasted your description of the unit and discovered it is a technical writing instrument from the 40's (?).
I did find this little article about Celluloid and what it is. Rather interesting.
If this is an antique pen then altering anything about it can diminish its value.
I did find this on how to repair celluloid items.
Good luck with your project.

I had no idea of what you were talking about until I copied and pasted your description of the unit and discovered it is a technical writing instrument from the 40's (?).
I did find this little article about Celluloid and what it is. Rather interesting.
If this is an antique pen then altering anything about it can diminish its value.
I did find this on how to repair celluloid items.
Good luck with your project.
Thank you for your interest, and pointing me to those resources.

I realize I should have been more clean in my original post. The pen is a stylograph (or technical pen) from the late 50s, though variations have been made since the 30s.

I have over a dozen, the one I posted is kinda scrap, I might be able to salvage it and get some value from it if I strip the paint. I've seen some pelikan ibis and other old celluloid pens where the paint is completely gone, but the body is still intact. Anyways, I have a few things I wanna try now thanks to those links. I'll update with how it goes. Thank you again.

Back
Top Bottom