Questions about click pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

paulbt1975

I like using click pens but have a hard time with assembling them. I made myself a click pen to use at work, but when I finished putting it together the ink stays out. Can anyone please give me any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

IMG_1107.jpeg IMG_1106.jpeg
first photo pen is retracted second photo put is ready to write! Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks. (Slime line click pen kit from WoodTurningz PKSLCK-GM, if that helps😂)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I like using click pens but have a hard time with assembling them. I made myself a click pen to use at work, but when I finished putting it together the ink stays out. Can anyone please give me any suggestions on what I am doing wrong?

View attachment 374548 View attachment 374549
first photo pen is retracted second photo put is ready to write! Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks. (Slime line click pen kit from WoodTurningz PKSLCK-GM, if that helps😂)
Wow....usually if you trim the sections to much you get a little exposure, but yours looks like either the click mechanism is not installed correctly or its defective. I would pull the pen apart and make sure nothing is left in the tubes that could be interfering with the movement of the refill and then recheck the operation of the click mechanism. Also check that you have the spring on the refill and its staying in the right place. Not sure how you trim your tubes, but due to the excess exposure of the refill, I would think more is in play here than trim length.

Wow, that refill is really extended and looks like something more than a spring issue. Have you checked the length of the tubes/sections to make sure they match the instructions? Did you follow instructions when pressing the click mechanism into the upper tube? Hope you find out what the issue is.

You got the trans toooooo deep. You have. Flexibility with the lower blank in length, but got to be careful when installing trans.
When I make slim lines I always check to insure refill is not over extended, just keep checking and and adjust a very little.

Learning curve with this type of set up.

There should be a small line on the transmission to show the approximate depth to insert it into the tube, and as Dieseldoc said you can push it in a bit more if necessary

This is a click, not a twist. There is no transmission involved.

I thought I had made one of this style, but my pen log says otherwise.

I'd verify the upper and lower barrels are the same length by measuring with a calipers.

Second thought is wether you accidentally swapped the longer and shorter springs. I doubt this, because it would make for a difficult assembly.

Anything else from me is a guess.

Some pens the cartridge doesn't always slip into place easily. open up , put cartridge in upper half and operate it that way and see if you can seat the cartridge further

pen state industries makes an EDC click kit. They told me it is German engineering….there is very little tolerance on lengths. I really like it.

The fact that you got it together and the click mechanism works tells me you probably got it together correctly and likely just took too much off one or both of the tubes.

It's possible the long spring isn't seated fully, but I don't think that would cause the refill to extend too far when retracted.

If it's for personal use, you may be able to grind a little off the back end of the ink refill, but you'll have to do that every time you replace the refill. For the amount you have sticking out, you'd need to remove the black plastic from the back of the refill and grind/sand/cut the actual refill tube itself.

I haven't tried that on this type of refill, so it may not work. If you do try it, I'd prepare to deal with ink spray in case something goes wrong.

Worst case scenario, the use and value you get from this pen may be entirely in the "lessons learned" category.

When this has happened to me it has been because the click mechanism is not properly seated in the cap, or more often because the refill is not properly engaging with the mechanism.Usually solved with turning the refill slightly until it clicks into place. I can usually feel that happening as I insert the refill.
Hope that helps. It has been a common problem for me as well.

Mike

I was looking closer at the pen and it looks like upper barrel is a little shorter. I assume I probably trimmed the barrel too much

The specs on woodturningz.com say the tube length should be 2+1/32 inches long.

I'd check the pen to see if either or both are short, and whether the combined shortfall could account for the amount of refill sticking out the nose cone when it's supposed to be retracted.

IF the barrels are near the correct length, the cause has to be either in the mechanism, or the refill itself is too long. Compare the refill against another to see if it's too long (sometimes the plastic end-piece isn't pushed all the way onto the metal tube). Try a different refill in the pen - I keep a genuine Cross refill for debugging problems.

Keep at it - you will find the answer 👍

Back
Top Bottom