Question on Resin Casting with Cholla Cactus

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

Hopefully someone on this forum has cast resin with Cholla Cactus and can help me with what I hope is a simple question. I have a customer who would like a multi color resin cast with Cholla cactus.

My question is this: Is it better to alternate pouring of the 2 colors into an empty casting tube, and then push the cholla into the resin, or is it better to drop the cholla into the empty casting tube, and then pour the resin colors over the cholla, letting it run down the inside and outside of the cactus?

Thanks for any advice.

Kevin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Place your cactus in the tube, be sure it's snug so it doesn't float up on you. If it's loose, wedge it or hot glue it in a small spot against the tube wall. Then alternate your resin colors, pouring down the middle hole of the cactus. Works great for me.

Attachments

• IMG_8896.jpeg
    IMG_8896.jpeg
    119.4 KB · Views: 36
Place your cactus in the tube, be sure it's snug so it doesn't float up on you. If it's loose, wedge it or hot glue it in a small spot against the tube wall. Then alternate your resin colors, pouring down the middle hole of the cactus. Works great for me.
Thanks John! In addition to the question I asked, you actually answered another question I meant to ask but forgot (how to keep the cactus from floating up out of the resin). Much appreciated!

Last edited:
To add to what John suggested allow me to give you a few more tips. If you have a solid blank trim the ends so you can see the cactus center. That way you can drill in the center of the cactus and not the blank. That way you should have an even pattern around the pen. Or if you know what kit you're going to use drill the cactus and paint the tube first. I trim the cactus just proud of the tube but not to interfere with the stoppers in the mold. Slide the tube in the cactus then do a tube in cast. That way you'll have a nice pattern around the pen. No worries about floating. It's a little more prep work but less work and waste down the road. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom