Question for the salt mill experts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dvoigt

Dvoigt

OK so I've been getting alot more interest in salt mills, so I have to start making more of them. I usually get the chef specialty ones from woodturners catalog, but I'm disappointed with the lack of adjustment. I just had a lady buy one and bring it back to be the next day because it wouldn't grind her Celtic sea salt. It just got all clumpy and clogged the mechanism, and I've found that even slightly larger salt will not turn properly in it.

But has anyone modified the designs to put some spacers between the retaining bar and the mill body, so that the mechanism could open up further?? Are there better mechanisms out there for salt?
1723553061410.png

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
OK so I've been getting alot more interest in salt mills, so I have to start making more of them. I usually get the chef specialty ones from woodturners catalog, but I'm disappointed with the lack of adjustment. I just had a lady buy one and bring it back to be the next day because it wouldn't grind her Celtic sea salt. It just got all clumpy and clogged the mechanism, and I've found that even slightly larger salt will not turn properly in it.

But has anyone modified the designs to put some spacers between the retaining bar and the mill body, so that the mechanism could open up further?? Are there better mechanisms out there for salt?
View attachment 376700
I have one of these for personal use and have had no issues. Talk to your customer and research the salt she is grinding ... here is a general note on salt grinding ... Use course salts .. "Coarse salt refers to larger, standard salt crystals. Most coarse salts are best used in a grinder, providing an easy way of serving up freshly ground sea salt with a meal. Coarse salt tends to be less moisture sensitive than its finer-grained counterparts, so it resists caking, ideal for long term storage"

I have one of these for personal use and have had no issues. Talk to your customer and research the salt she is grinding ... here is a general note on salt grinding ... Use course salts .. "Coarse salt refers to larger, standard salt crystals. Most coarse salts are best used in a grinder, providing an easy way of serving up freshly ground sea salt with a meal. Coarse salt tends to be less moisture sensitive than its finer-grained counterparts, so it resists caking, ideal for long term storage"
This particular customer was using Celtic sea salt. The salt clumps as it grinds (due to it's high magnesium content, according to the internet). But if I can open up the mechanism could it improve the situation and make the grinders more versatile? I mean, I would like to think the Chef Specialties knows more then me.... and that this design is optimal...

I also have used this grinder for personal use and wasn't thrilled with it, which is why I didn't make them much. But in the last 2 years I have been seeing a high demand for salt mills at art shows.
And I had the opposite experience with the "coarse" salt. I bought "coarse" pink salt from a supplier, and the pieces were more like small pebbles and wouldn't grind at all. I found that I had to use salt that is slight more coarse then regular salt (more like the raw sugar) to get good results from these grinders.

View attachment 376700
I also don't have any issues w/ Chef Specialties salt mill or pepper mill mechanisms. Never had issues with the grind adjustment. Make sure that the length of the stem is correct. If the stem ends up too short for the body and knob, that may inhibit the amount of adjustment. I agree that coarse salt is preferred. I've also used coarse Kosher salt. You may already know this, but never use the stainless steel set for a salt mills. Always use the ceramic set.

I also don't have any issues w/ Chef Specialties salt mill or pepper mill mechanisms. Never had issues with the grind adjustment. Make sure that the length of the stem is correct. If the stem ends up too short for the body and knob, that may inhibit the amount of adjustment. I agree that coarse salt is preferred. I've also used coarse Kosher salt. You may already know this, but never use the stainless steel set for a salt mills. Always use the ceramic set.
Peppermills are great.
But there is literally almost no adjustment on the salt mill. Even if I don't have the knob on the top, that retaining bar is only like a millimeter away from the grinder. It's either closed or 1mm open. Not really an in between, IMO
I would love for them to have the range of the peppermills.

Back
Top Bottom