Question about beautiful and perfect pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
I am amazed at the amount of beautiful and perfect pens that are constantly being displayed here. And it made me think about new pen turners and even some who have been making them off and on for a few years.

So the question IS:
Does viewing beautiful of pens of all types - segmented, finely finished, fountain pens and more - does this beauty and perfection tend to intimidate or frustrate you because of your current level, or does this motivate you to strive harder in your drive to similar perfection?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Maybe not so much "motivate" but inspire. When I started woodworking in a serious way, there was no internet, I had to rely on books and periodicals. I loved looking at Fine Woodworking for inspiration. One time I was in awe of a sunburst tabletop. At the time I first read the article I thought "no way will I ever have that skill". A year later I attended a seminar of the author Frank Pollaro. And next thing you know, I had copied the design.

Attachments

• P0000403.JPG
    P0000403.JPG
    741.7 KB · Views: 22
The solid wood pens, no. It gave me something to work towards as I still consider myself new at this (a bit over a year in).

The segmented pens, heck yes, it intimidates the $^@# out of me b

That seems like a simple question but my answer is complicated. I enjoy looking at everyone's work. Pen related or not. I don't pick other's work apart like I do my own. When I first got into pen making I knew I wanted to do something to set myself apart from the rest. That's when I started casting. I do some segmenting but only simple stuff. At my current level I kind of know what it takes for others to achieve some of their work. Knowing that impresses me with what they do. Some things I'm not willing to put forth the effort to learn or I just know it's above my level. I also look for new ideas or ways to improve what I do. It also keeps me humble. Some of the pens I see I would be ashamed to put mine next to. As far as those "First Pens" that people aren't too happy with are better than some I currently make! Ha Ha.

I think I feel more in awe of other folks pens now that I know the basics of how they are made. I spent all last summer just driving the basics of how to make a handcrafted fountain pen into my head. I had really no turning experience, so I was also finding my way in that aspect as well. Now that I understand the construction of a handcrafted fountain pen I've found I'm thirsty for ways to improve, and I have much respect for those ahead of me…like Shawn Newton, @jalbert , Casey, Jon Tello… and the list goes on.

I've a lot more work to do, but I'm striving to do the best work I can with the knowledge I have.

The solid wood pens, no. It gave me something to work towards as I still consider myself new at this (a bit over a year in).

The segmented pens, heck yes, it intimidates the $^@# out of me b
I don't know that I've agreed with two sentences more this week Joel! I'm only about 18 months into this myself.

I find the pens inspiring and make me want to continue to learn more techniques and ways to make such wonderful art.

Excellent question Hank. Since I started turning, (self taught) I can honestly say that none of the gorgeous and unique pens I've seen on IAP have intimidated or frustrated me.

Most have motivated and encouraged me. Even when I was just starting out, I posted pictures of the pens I made. With the explanation of my experience level I received many questions and constructive criticism about them.

Although some critiques have caused anguish for some members and have even driven some away, I do my best to take them for what they are offered and try to learn from them. Yes, sometimes it is pretty darn tough, especially when one disagrees, but then again, what the world be if we were always of just one mind.

I always try to encourage new turners to show their work and to pose questions just as I have done for many years. I still have a long way to go. Someday I want to get to the Kitless / Bespoke / Artisan level, but I have a long way to go. (I even haven't taken on the "transitional" Apollo pen kits that I bought from Kate at Bullseye Turning Supply yet). And some of the "Other Things We Make" and "Show Off Your Small Turnings" forums make me want to muster enough courage someday to make some bowls and other things. I think it's also the reason I enjoy doing an occasional, random, PITH exchanges -- especially with new turners.

Dave

Last edited:
Mostly inspire to be honest I think , Hank.

Sometimes I feel encouraged to attempt things eg celtic knot just "cos I had to " .

Other times just look and marvel or think great work but not my taste, but that's the joy and challenge of this hobby?

The segmented stuff can be in either camp for me but seeing the " how " and not just the end result fascinates me and inspires .

Let's face it you never stop learning and there in is the joy.

I'm definitely in the "Inspired" camp.

When I (accidentally) found this site I started looking at the gallery of pens, and I just sat there and thought "How the hell did they make that?" I remember the first pens I saw that I was totally inspired by were Mark James' segmented pens with simple white plastic dividers. They were just plain gorgeous, and I wanted to make pens like that. So I read up on it, and I was able to make some - but not as nice as Mark's.

Then I saw Celtic Knots. "How the hell...." etc. etc., etc.

Each new pen style or technique I saw dragged me deeper and deeper into the rabbit hole of inspiration, and I am forever glad for it.

I agree with the "inspired" comments above.

I am still very young in the penmaking rabbit hole (but older in the age scale). Since seeing some of the pens here that are simply amazing, I have found myself being more critical of my work. I look at a few of the first pens I made and compare them to the most recent. I have greatly improved my tool skills, sharpening skills, and finishing. I feel like I have gotten to the point of being satisfied with my process and quality of the basic kit pens.

As we get closer to winter, my work load will slow and I will have more time to learn and experiment with more advanced methods and styles. The cooler temps will make the digging easier as the rabbit hole gets deeper.

I asked the question with the word "intimidation" in it because I am in awe (and intimidated) of the metrics/precision measurements required in fountain pen making. I read them all the times and still get confused. I fully understand triple thread versus sing thread, but depth of threads and thickness of the housing are so precise I can't fathom it. I know I need to just make one or two or three all with the same size nib just for the experience. Michelle (Hippie3180) reflects my feelings except I haven't started yet.

That said I am inspired (a better word than motivate) by what you guys and ladies do and the different and new designs in wood, casts, segments and hybrids. And in the past few years, it has been exciting to see the perfection of the finish showing through in many people's work!

But for me, not understanding fully the measurements of fountain pen creations, or at least the progression of measurements (which to start with), keeps me at bay. I do admire those fountain pen creations and hope to get started in the next year in making one from the beginning.

Thank you all for your comments. This is a good discussion.

Well I have been here quite a long time and through those years I have seen alot of pens. I have seen this forum grow and with it different forums were formed to encompass the many different styles of pen making. I have over the years collected a few "got to try" when I get better at making pens. Well I think I have reached these values and would eventually like to pull some of these saved pens from past artisans here and give them a try. My winters are usually my pen making months so I think I will do just that.

So as far as inspired or intimidated, I am never intimidated by anything because I feel I have enough talent and knowledge to duplicate or attempt to if I feel the desire to. feeling the desire to is a huge part of putting a great effort into the project. If you do not have that 100% commitment then just do not bother and move onto something else. Now Inspired is the more exacting word. Now I am not a fan of all styles of pen making such as kitless but I do admire some of the precise work with the engraving and shaping of these pens. I am not a fountain pen lover so that puts them in a difficult position to move up my want to list. Nothing against anyone who does this work. These are my thoughts and I am sharing. As far as casting I love tube on casting over just coloring resins and pouring blanks. To me that is boring and there is so many blanks out there already. But being creative in cast on blanks opens alot of avenues. Then there is my favorite segmenting. Again so many ideas can be created with such a small canvas to work with. At some time I may dip a toe into some basic clay pen making because of ideas I have. But not a huge got to try item. Pens that have individual touches and segmenting and casting do, get me inspired. Turning basic wood blank pens is not my thing. But with that said I always do like seeing nature's beautiful woods that are rare. Pen making has been a very interesting hobby and over the years from the time I started till now it has been a journey well travelled and enjoyed. I hope to be around long enough to keep trying new ideas. And along these travels I hope I have contributed to some members inspiration and hope to continue. Happy Turning.

Obviously, we all started at one point in life. First pens were probably Slimline pens as they are inexpensive and pretty easy to turn and assemble. Seeing some of the crafting here reminds me of baseball. We start at tee ball and eventually move to the major leagues. Then the goal is to tie or beat any record on the books. Aaron Judge comes to mind as he is getting close to the magic number of 61 home runs. BTW, the Little League World Series had photos of Aaron in his LL uniform. Who would have guessed?

I really try not to chase perfection. That will take a hobby and turn it into a stressor.

Most of the pro level makers here inspire me.
But the only one you ever compete with is yourself ,as you learn and progress.

"The journey of a thousand miles start with a single step " to quote Confuscious ( badly ) .

Or " it is better to light a single candle than to stand afraid in the darkness ( except when someone's left the gas oven on …)

I am amazed at the amount of beautiful and perfect pens that are constantly being displayed here. And it made me think about new pen turners and even some who have been making them off and on for a few years.

So the question IS:
Does viewing beautiful of pens of all types - segmented, finely finished, fountain pens and more - does this beauty and perfection tend to intimidate or frustrate you because of your current level, or does this motivate you to strive harder in your drive to similar perfection?
Motivate.

Back
Top Bottom