Purpleheart pen blank.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fitter21

What is the best and fasted way to get the color back in Purpleheart? I had heard of putting the blank in direct sunlight. Would a black light also work? Unfortunately, my weather is not cooperating, rain and overcast skies for several days now. I would really appreciate your assistance. Thank you.
Desi F.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Heat will work, like with a heat gun or small torch, but be really careful not to dry out and crack the wood.

Disclaimer: I have used this method but NOT on pens where the wood is turned down so thin on the tubes.

Heat will work, like with a heat gun or small torch, but be really careful not to dry out and crack the wood.

Disclaimer: I have used this method but NOT on pens where the wood is turned down so thin on the tubes.
Thank you for your response. I'm not comfortable using a heat gun or open flame as my turned blank also has inlayed crushed synthetic opal. I will try friction with a towel as another member has just suggested. Thank you again.

Friction provides enough heat also. Just hold a towel against it on the lathe. It will give it a dark color and a burnished shine.
Thank you for your response. I will try the friction with a towel method. I just have to be careful as I also inlayed synthetic crushed opal in the blank. I recall reading that the sunlight helps, but was under the impression that it was actually the UV A Radiation from the Sun, that make the change. Thank you.

Long pieces of cloth such as towels are4 a safety hazard around high speed rotating machinery . A 3 or 4 inch square folded into a pad is much safer .
Thank you. I realize a long piece of cloth is a safety hazzard, especially on rotating equipment. I did in fact try the friction method, with a small piece of cloth towel, the piece came out superbly. Thank you all for your advice and tips, it is very much appreciated.

Glad you found something that worked for you. I've used the heat gun method before, but I really like the thought of simply creating friction on the lathe. I'll have to give that a go the next time. I hope you will share a picture of the finished pen. - Dave

1000003458.jpg

Glad you found something that worked for you. I've used the heat gun method before, but I really like the thought of simply creating friction on the lathe. I'll have to give that a go the next time. I hope you will share a picture of the finished pen. - Dave
This is it. Very happy with the final product. Thank you all. Desi F.

Back
Top Bottom