PSI benchtop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Comments? It would be for a short pen blank adjustment… nothing heavy duty.

Attachments

• Image 10-17-24 at 9.12 AM.jpeg
    Image 10-17-24 at 9.12 AM.jpeg
    239.2 KB · Views: 69
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I would advise you compare the specs on what PSI is selling vs some of the sanders available on the market, Menards in particular because I know they have one that looks similar.

I have a combination sander that has a disc and belt and found it really nice to have. I use the disc far more than the belt but it has its uses too.

This tool is expensive and serves a single function.

Rick Harrell has a sanding jig for $40, which lets you perform this function using your lathe, assuming you already have a drill chuck and a set of punches.

Menards has a Pefrormax brand 5" bench top disc sander for $40 that has the same spec's and looks almost identical to the sander that PSI sells (ML9664X) for $90. They, PSI, also sell the Pen Blank Squaring Jig with Cross Slide (PKSQML) that goes on the sander for $23.

I use a homemade jig that works very similarly to what PSI sells on my 4" belt / 6" disc sander. (I actually I designed it as an improvement over the PSI sanding jig that I had previously purchased for my disc sander (PKSQUARE)).

Regardless, you will likely need to add a set of Barrel Trimming Sleeves (PSI PKTRIMSET), $40 to either one. Rick Herrell also sells sets of barrel trimming sleeves. As an alternative, you could build a set using pen blanks with 7mm brass tubes that fit on the jig - I have made a few custom sizes that way - to fit an oddball tube size made to fit over the Creative Trench Lighter that Drop Anchor Creations Sells.

For limited purposes, if I didn't already have a disc sander, I would likely buy the sander from Menards and then buy the Squaring Jig with Cross Slide and set of Barrel Trimming Sleeves from PSI ($40 + $23 + $40 = $103). Of course to guarantee that everything fits together as a turnkey unit, I would consider buying the PSI setup and a set of their Barrel Trimming Sleeves to get the job done ($90 + $40 = $130).

Regardless, and in my opinion of course, I would certainly use some kind of sanding equipment and process to do blank squaring over the typical Pen Mill barrel trimmer type. (Although they do work and many members are very successful in using Pen Mills for barrel trimmers).

Regards,
Dave

Go for ricks jig and keep the change.unless you need a sander for other tasks as well.
The problem with that is it becomes yet another task to be done on the lathe - for me I use it for drilling, squaring, turning and buffing with each step requiring another gear swap out. Gets old.

I might just go for the squaring jig for $23 and see if it can work with by belt/disk sander. Hopefully I can use my existing barrel trimmer sleeves to tighten up the bar and, as noted from a review comment on the jig itself (there is gold in those comment reviews) a different bar to fit the miter channel. For $23 it's worth the experiment.

I wasn't certain from the pic - but the sleeves fit the bar on the jig?
Yes. The round bar/rod on the jig is the same as a short piece of pen mandrel (about 6.25mm) so that a 7mm brass tube slides right over it. For blanks that have other, larger sized tubes, a spacer sleeve is needed to slip the tubed blank bar/rod so that everything stays square to the sanding disc. - Dave

so to be 100% forthcoming.... I have the combination disc sander/belt sander that I mentioned earlier. I use the miter gauge that came with that machine along with the PSI sanding jig (PKSQUARE) that I bought from Exotic Blanks. I have the 9 piece barrel trimming set because I found that more sleeves meant that I wasn't using a sleeve that was slightly too small for the tube way.

Just make sure that the rod on the sanding jig is square to the sanding surface by adjusting table and miter gauge appropriately. Yes, I did learn that the hard way one time when something got knocked out of kilter

Just make sure that the rod on the sanding jig is square to the sanding surface by adjusting table and miter gauge appropriately. Yes, I did learn that the hard way one time when something got knocked out of kilter
Outstanding recommendation Kent -- and a very important one too.

Although I could probably finesse it, I choose to remove the table and disc guard on my belt/disc sander to change the sanding discs. So, I keep a cheap 4" inch mechanic's square on a shelf right above my machine so that I can quickly adjust the table to get the rod back square with the sanding surface. It also comes in handy to verify the rod against the horizontal axis -- to make sure it didn't get bent or anything. Since it is handily available I find myself using it to do a quick check every time I use it. Only $8 at Menards.

I also have the PKSQUARE jig, but I was just not satisfied with the amount of play between the miter sled and the miter slot on my sander. That's why I built up a jig of my own -- so I could get a tighter fit in the miter slot. I also made it big enough to hold all of my sleeves. I found that 1/4" inch shelf pins make perfect little holding posts for them.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom