Proof of Concept. Woodburning Project #1

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

So I got a woodburner from someone on here. I got a good deal, and I am very pleased. Anyway, I have never done any woodburning so I did some playing around with an idea I had last night. The wood is maple and the colors are markers. Since I am new at this, I would love ideas and suggestions. Thanks!

Attachments

• poc1.jpg
    poc1.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 537
  • poc2.jpg
    poc2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 447
  • poc3.jpg
    poc3.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 338
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

juteck

First thing I thought of was "The Yellow Brick Road". I see some potential with this -- keep exploring, keep practicing. Looks good.

76winger

Although I don't recognize anything in the pattern It's got a cool appearance to it. Like the others said. Keep exploring, you may be on to something new and exciting!

nava1uni

A good thing to do it make yourself some story boards. Use thin pieces of different kinds of wood. Practice each tip on the board, making different lines, strokes, designs. It will give you information about how each wood reacts, burns, depth of burn. Keep these and then you have them available so that when you want to make something you will know the setting needed, the length of time it takes to get the burn or texture that you want to obtain. Keep a written record to go with each board.
What kind of burner? You can get a different stroke from each side of the tip. Depending on the burner you can also make your own tips.

hewunch

I was going for a brick wall and two roads concept. As far as it getting turned off, it would be the final step before finish, so it would remain.

Cindy thanks for the advice. It is a two pen station, and I need to learn more about what each tip should be for.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Very nice work, I look forward to seeing where you take this when it makes it into a pen

NC Wood Art

I agree with clapiana, unless I missed something in the photo the pen has yet to be turned down, you will turn all that burning in to sawdust. Or maybe practice before turning & reburn it when you get close to final clearance. I did a couple spalted pecan compartment key rings & used copper wire to burn grooves into them after notching them with skew.

Top Bottom