PR casting supplies

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

grz5

Hello all,

I've decided to try my hand at casting my own PR blanks to make Christmas presents for my family. Being the typical "broke grad student," I'm hoping to acquire the necessary materials in a wallet friendly manner. :biggrin:

I am looking for:

Casting molds:

(preferably Vertical 3/4" but I will be happy with an extra mold that someone is willing to part with)

Color Additives:
If anyone has and mica powders (pearlex/coastal scents) that they don't want I'm interested

PR resin and curing agent

Additional casting supplies that I'm forgetting to mention that would make things easier for me.

I am willing to trade:

Amboyna pen blanks.
amboyna, redmallee, and maple pendant blanks
large curly maple turning blanks
worthless wood blanks cast by another member of the forum
...etc

If a trade isn't possible I'm also willing to pay but a trade would be preferable.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hey, sorry I cant help you much, but I will say that trading resin is pretty impractical, you're better off buying it from illstreet composites or uscomposites.

I was planning on buying the resin but I figured that if anyone had extra it wouldn't hurt to ask. The main thing I'm looking to get is the molds and the powders.

You can make molds very easily with a wooden blank and a tube of silicone. There are several threads here that explain how to do it.

Already attempted to make one using the RTV silicone tubes only to have it not work even after I let it cure for several additional days than the instructions required.

also 3/4 white pvc from Lowes or Home Depot for the molds.

I was looking for a clear vertical mold so I could see what the blank would look like when turned.

I know that they sell "baby soda" tubes online but I'm only looking for 1 or 2 at the moment and not the whole set.

Thanks for the link, I'll definitely consider it. The general impression is that I'm better off getting them directly from the sources. :p. I am still interested in getting a "baby soda" 1" dia tube to try vertical casting without having to buy the whole kit. So if thats a possibility then I'm game

Back
Top Bottom