Porch swing plans?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have a buddy who runs a local greenhouse and he's suggesting I build two-person porch swings to sell at his shop. Says they sold great in past years but his Amish supplier doesn't produce them any longer.

Where do I go to find plans for these types of swings?

What species of wood should they be made of, and any advice on building these things?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Amish use polywood for outdoor furniture. I do not think you could compete with what they make and at the price they make it. Good luck.

I've built my share. Here's one:

I made it without plans; took numerous hours to mill all the material, drill and get the frame together and screw the slats on.
Probably half a day for the first one.

A simple unit made of pressure treated wood would be a good start.
Two things:
You need a curve in the seat and the back.
Most builders get the seat curve right but do a straight back which isn't comfortable.
You want a curve which provides lumbar support. The curve in mine is subtle but very comfortable.

Here's an example from LJs.
It also appears to have a good curve for lumbar support:

The one I showed above was built in 2007.
It's been repaired and painted and is still in use out in the weather today.
In fact, this morning it was loaded into my truck to relocate it tomorrow.
It has an A-frame made of 4x4 posts and a 2x6 header so it can stand by itself in the yard.
You could offer the A-frame as an option for those without a structure to hang it from.

Once you get your pattern for a comfortable piece, you can start making more expensive ones using nicer wood.

Good options are white oak, mahogany and IPE or similar long lasting timbers.

I was going to mention white oak also. White oak is local (USA0 and is more rot resistant than most other local woods while being strong.

Back
Top Bottom