Please grade my work

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from GRAM

GRAM

I am confused and need help. I have turned about 30 pens. My first few were horrible. I watched lots of videos and read lots of articles. The next several were better, but still needed help. I went into my local Woodcraft store and received good turning tips from them. I haven't taken any classes.
Here are the last few pens I have turned. My big question is the little scratches, is that a scratch or the wood grain. It feels completely smooth and was completely smooth when I was done turning.
Please don't hold back on any criticism. This is Cocobolo wood. This is going to be for a PSI executive pen.

Attachments

• IMG_7199.jpeg
    IMG_7199.jpeg
    195.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7198.jpeg
    IMG_7198.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7197.jpeg
    IMG_7197.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7200.jpeg
    IMG_7200.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 23
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Cocobolo intrinsically has voids. You have done a great job of turning, without filling the voids with sanding dust--WELL DONE!!

Try some different woods--woods that will be smooth, generally the darker the wood the more you will see scratches--ziricote, dark walnut or even dark redwood (although this also is porous). In short, look for wood that has less "character" so you can more easily see what your finish looks like.

Most important, keep turning-you are doing GREAT!!

I ditto everything said above. Some people prefer to leave some of the wood pores showing, as that is a natural part of the wood. Some parts of your blank that has lines are most likely just the grain. If you use a medium or thick CA glue for your finish, it will likely fill in the pores and smooth out the surface.

As Ed said, you're doing great!

Looks goid.

Cocobolo is an open grain wood—this is what you're seeing.
Coco's dust is also potentially harmful—it's toxic to some.
Moreover, it's also a serious sensitizer: some people have a bad reaction immediately and some have none or very little but the more they're exposed to the dust, the worse it gets.

Wear a good mask when turning cocobolo.

Back
Top Bottom