Playing with the laser

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ochoabrian

I got in love with the potential of using laser cutter to create pen blanks that other ways will be difficult to create. Here a busy one with 5 natural wood species ;)

Attachments

• IMG_5098.jpeg
    IMG_5098.jpeg
    478.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5095.jpeg
    IMG_5095.jpeg
    435.9 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5096.jpeg
    IMG_5096.jpeg
    443.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_5100.mov
    13.8 MB
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
With the varieties of wood color and beauty of design, It is obvious that you did some deep thinking. And It looks like natural talent to me.

One thing I would suggest, in case you haven't already, research best UV finish that would also display the pen's colors. Various woods will fade or darken over 2 to 6 years. That pen and subsequent pens are too beautifully made to lose their vibrancy!

My first pen with a good CA finish was padauk and had a very attractive color. But within about 2 years, it faded naturally. I have numerous cherry pieces of furniture and they turn darker over a period of about 4 to 6 years. UV finishes will not stop the natural "darkening" of certain woods, but it can delay it.

With the varieties of wood color and beauty of design, It is obvious that you did some deep thinking. And It looks like natural talent to me.

One thing I would suggest, in case you haven't already, research best UV finish that would also display the pen's colors. Various woods will fade or darken over 2 to 6 years. That pen and subsequent pens are too beautifully made to lose their vibrancy!

My first pen with a good CA finish was padauk and had a very attractive color. But within about 2 years, it faded naturally. I have numerous cherry pieces of furniture and they turn darker over a period of about 4 to 6 years. UV finishes will not stop the natural "darkening" of certain woods, but it can delay it.
Interesting! It may have do, also, with the type of wood, and exposure to UV light. At one point I explored the use of UV protecting layers (I used to made alcohol paintings, and to protect them I use UV resistant spray) … maybe something to play with further ;)

I got in love with the potential of using laser cutter to create pen blanks that other ways will be difficult to create. Here a busy one with 5 natural wood species ;)
Looks FANTASTIC! Could you post pictures of the making process as well? Thanks!

Looks FANTASTIC! Could you post pictures of the making process as well? Thanks!
Thanks! I do not have pics of the process. But in paper is simple (more complicated in execution) you made wood tubes and you put them in a laser cutter with the pattern design.

Back
Top Bottom