OLIVEWOOD SOURCES

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jsavage4

For a number of years I have used olivewood blanks from Penn State and have generally been pleased with the product. I wonder if any of you folks have found a better source? I thoroughly turning this type of wood land would appreciate your comments.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
For a number of years I have used olivewood blanks from Penn State and have generally been pleased with the product. I wonder if any of you folks have found a better source? I thoroughly turning this type of wood land would appreciate your comments.

I used to do a lot of scroll sawing and would order wood from here. I had a special size I wanted, and they put me in direct touch with the warehouse in Israel. They had to put me on hold and call me back because the bomb/missile sirens had just gone off. They called me back in 30 minutes. The grain is top notch... best I've ever seen.

I just had a scrollsaw project that I want to do and about a month ago I went around to a bunch of Home Good stores near me and bought all they had in stock that were cutting boards or serving boards. Some really great grain looking pieces too and inexpensive. I can thin them down and even get 2 slices out of them for my project. I will be working on that this winter. That is my shop time.

I've had great success taking advantage of the annual holiday sales of serving boards at Trader Joes. I'll have to look at my local home goods to see what they've got

Mike E, Saad sells affordable olivewood blanks from the Bethlehem area. They are usually wildly figured and turn nicely. He posts regularly in several FB pen-related groups.

I used to do a lot of scroll sawing and would order wood from here. I had a special size I wanted, and they put me in direct touch with the warehouse in Israel. They had to put me on hold and call me back because the bomb/missile sirens had just gone off. They called me back in 30 minutes. The grain is top notch... best I've ever seen.
Nice. $10 (on sale) is a pretty good price for these half length blanks: Olive Wood Pen Blanks 20 Pk (0.75″ x 0.75″x 2.75″)
I didn't look into shipping cost. I really need to use what I have before I buy any more. (Famous last words before going into Home Goods.)

There is a seller who often posts here, wood128, who often sells olivewood. His blanks are usually quite amazing. I still have many from a batch of endgrain olivewood I bought from him a year or so ago, in fact I think I've bought a couple of batches of olivewood from him. The endgrain stuff is amazing and fairly unique, smells WONDERFUL (you get that whiff of olives when you open the shipping box!) He has plenty of other wonderful blanks too.

Nice. $10 (on sale) is a pretty good price for these half length blanks: Olive Wood Pen Blanks 20 Pk (0.75″ x 0.75″x 2.75″)
I didn't look into shipping cost. I really need to use what I have before I buy any more. (Famous last words before going into Home Goods.)
They have a warehouse in Texas. So the cost of shipping will be from there. Even when I special ordered. It only cost from Texas.

I second Mike Saad for Bethlehem Olive Wood pen blanks. Great figure in the wood, shipped promptly, and they turn like a dream. The best I've found out there.

Oh, wow... This was posted on Mike Saad's Facebook page. I'm feeling OCD about how poorly the grain matches up, but the inlay certainly matches up perfectly! I feel terrible for saying anything negative about this craftsmanship. Also, my apologies to @Jsavage4. I don't mean to take over your thread here, but I couldn't not share this.
It appears that this is his Etsy shop for anyone interested, even though it says the shop owner is Sarah: https://jerusalemproducts.etsy.com/

Just to give proper credit, I did not make these pens. It was someone named Jonathan Olsen.

1726367325794.png

Back
Top Bottom