Ok not a pen but pretty Pencils

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mmayo

mmayo

Diagonal bocote in all its splendor on a 3 mm pencil and JohnU alumilite 50 shades of gray in a 5.6 mm pencil. Both kits from CSUSA.

Show this weekend so last minute additions.

Attachments

• IMG_4904.jpeg
    IMG_4904.jpeg
    242.8 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4903.jpeg
    IMG_4903.jpeg
    228.6 KB · Views: 106
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Those are both phenomenal. The diagonal cut on the bocote is something I've not seen, pretty neat lines.

That Bacote is amazing, isn't that one of the woods that can cause sensitivity? I'm kind of Leary to work with those, but of course they are almost always beautiful woods.

That Bacote is amazing, isn't that one of the woods that can cause sensitivity? I'm kind of Leary to work with those, but of course they are almost always beautiful woods.
Michele,

You are correct. Bocote is one of the wood species that can cause a reaction (cross reaction) if someone has already developed an initial sensitivity to certain other woods like Ebony and True Dalbergia rosewoods. (Cocobolo, one of my favorite rosewoods, is of course notorious for becoming a sensitizer). ☹️

The Wood Database has an outstanding article called Wood Allergies and Toxicity by Eric Meier that talks about this kind of stuff and it includes a chart that shows different wood species along with the kinds of reactions, the areas affected (skin, eyes, lungs) and a general measure of potency. I always take precautions. In addition to my overall shop air cleaner, I use a vacuum dust extractor at the machine and I wear a mask whenever I am working with these kind of woods, especially when cutting or sanding -- basically anything that creates the "invisible fine dust / coarse inhalable particles". Which brings me to another outstanding article called Wood Dust Safety also by Eric Meier.

Regards,
Dave

Both are nice but that piece of Bocote is spectacular.

One of my favorite woods for making pens.

Use it and never worry. A wood called guanacaste from Costa Rica bothered me a lot but not this wood. I've used a ton of cocobolo and some ebony without issue. Of course, you mileage may very.

Michele,

You are correct. Bocote is one of the wood species that can cause a reaction (cross reaction) if someone has already developed an initial sensitivity to certain other woods like Ebony and True Dalbergia rosewoods. (Cocobolo, one of my favorite rosewoods, is of course notorious for becoming a sensitizer). ☹️

The Wood Database has an outstanding article called Wood Allergies and Toxicity by Eric Meier that talks about this kind of stuff and it includes a chart that shows different wood species along with the kinds of reactions, the areas affected (skin, eyes, lungs) and a general measure of potency. I always take precautions. In addition to my overall shop air cleaner, I use a vacuum dust extractor at the machine and I wear a mask whenever I am working with these kind of woods, especially when cutting or sanding -- basically anything that creates the "invisible fine dust / coarse inhalable particles". Which brings me to another outstanding article called Wood Dust Safety also by Eric Meier.

Regards,
Dave
Good information that all should consider and be aware of when turning wood.

Back
Top Bottom