Odorless CA Accelerant?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

Can anyone recommend an odorless CA accelerant? I have tried several accelerants over the years and all of them have had pretty strong odors. SWMBO is very sensitive to odors/VOCs, so I have been letting my CA cure slowly, but it sometimes takes a long time. I even tried the homemade accelerant of water and baking soda, but that just made a mess (but it did not smell).

Thanks for any recommendations.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I have not tried GluBoost. Will their accelerant work with other brands of CA?
I have used GluBoost accelerant with several brands of CA as well as oily glue and it has worked with all of them. It still has a smell and it still bothers my wife, who has a slight case of asthma and she is very sensitive to smells.

Kevin, It works! I used to used another very popular brand of CA (from Peachtree USA) and it will work perfectly fine. My CA was outdated, still worked. Used the GB Accelerant several times on various jobs. Don't be alarmed by the size of the container it's small. Lots of control of the application finger goes a long way. Stuff work amazingly well. Does not cause the CA to foam. Incredible product. You will be very pleased.
One word of advice. Cannot ship via air. Surface only. The accelerant may not be perfect, but in my humble estimation I CONSIDER IT LOW ODOR.

Mortalis

BSI (Bob Smith Industries) accelerator has a pleasant scent to it. Almost a bit sweet for me. If I can go out on a limb, I believe (MHO) the "Accelerators" made for curing CA is basically the same formulations. Your SWMBO may be having an issue not with the actual scent but rather the reaction of the VOC being released. They add the scent, again MHO, to mask the VOC smell.

Mortalis

There is very informative thread in another website's forum about accelerators and alternatives. I'd link it but I dont recall off hand what this site's regulations are for linking other outside forums.

I looked at the forum policies and did not see any mention of outside forum linkage. If this is something frowned upon then please remove this the below link as deemed necessary.

AAW Glue Accelerator Discussion

Last edited:

Curly

I think chasing down a chemical that doesn't smell is a near futile quest. Better would be to capture the CA fumes and accelerator fumes at the lathe before they begin to float around the room. Lots of you have ceiling air filters to clean the dust your dust collector misses. I think it is worth investigating getting some activated charcoal filters to place over the filter unit when you are about to do the finishing. After the session is over remove the filter and put it in a sealed bag. That will extend the life because the filters will absorb anything in the air all the time. Bagged they can't. Best location would be to have a filter set up right behind the headstock/bed to get the fumes as close to source as possible.
A link to one that might work but it is a starting point for searching.

wouldentu2?

I use the odorless thin CA from Bob Smith and eliminated the accelerant 10 years ago. The first three coats go on in minutes, I put that aside and work on another.

I had the wife problem with some JB Weld epoxy I bought because it was cheaper, my wife told me she didn't care what epoxy costs just get rid of that one.

Paul-H

Have you tried using an alternative to CA accelerator which are all basically the same.

Found using BLO tube quite an effective drying assister (it's to slow to be called an accelerator but it dose assist in the drying process, and seems to make to finish a little more durable

Top Bottom