Oak cabinets?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

So our kitchen cabinets have a corner lazy susan setup that the lazy susan part is bad. I'm thinking of tearing that out and just making them two regular cabinets. I'm gonna have to get some boards to make the corner frame to be able hinge the cabinets too. I'm thinking the wood is oak. This house was built in the 80's and is solid, not laminate.
What do y'all think?
Thanks!
1000008155.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
We had a home built back in the early 2000s and picked Ash for the cabinets because of those peaks in the grain.

Looked just like this. However, looking online at oak and cabinet photos, it's hard to tell the difference.

I would resist the temptation to make that corner into two separate units. They will be in conflict with each other and if you dont put some sort of outward extending system, getting to the items that drift toward that back corner will be a PIA. Just my humble opinion and past experience.

One example

I would resist the temptation to make that corner into two separate units. They will be in conflict with each other and if you dont put some sort of outward extending system, getting to the items that drift toward that back corner will be a PIA. Just my humble opinion and past experience.

One example
I see what you're saying. I like the concept in the video but a lot more work than what I want to do. I wish I could just make an "L" door to swing out but don't think I could hinge it to stay flush with the cabinet.

I'm wondering if I could just add some oak strips on top and one side of cabinet. Hinge one side and just swing out the door. Won't be flush with wood but will look same as other doors. Thoughts?
1000008160.jpg

Wife inherited a commercial oak (veneered) TV stand. We found that it was too low for use in our bedroom, so I was directed to build a 'top hat' that elevated the top (and the TV) by about 8". I used red oak and oak-veneered plywood for the extension. Under ordinary circumstances, the extension looks very similar to the original, but when lighting is more intense, the addition is clearly not part of the original.

My point is that there could be a problem matching the finish on the new material with the existing commercial finish (probably some kind of lacquer).

Wife inherited a commercial oak (veneered) TV stand. We found that it was too low for use in our bedroom, so I was directed to build a 'top hat' that elevated the top (and the TV) by about 8". I used red oak and oak-veneered plywood for the extension. Under ordinary circumstances, the extension looks very similar to the original, but when lighting is more intense, the addition is clearly not part of the original.

My point is that there could be a problem matching the finish on the new material with the existing commercial finish (probably some kind of lacquer).
I actually had found a stain that I used to touch up scratches here and there. You could see a slight difference with bright lighting it didn't stick out bad at all. I yhink I'm the only one that really sees it. Lol

Have you looked at corner slide out drawers? Unless there are obstructions the existing corner cabinet door gets attached to the bottom drawer. If you haven't, and if you are interested, I can post some videos I have seen of people installing them. - Dave

Have you looked at corner slide out drawers? Unless there are obstructions the existing corner cabinet door gets attached to the bottom drawer. If you haven't, and if you are interested, I can post some videos I have seen of people installing them. - Dave
That would be cool Dave. I have taken these doors off 3 times in the past to hopefully just fix the lazy susan to no avail. It would be nice to just get a setup I can mount to the bottom of the cabinet instead of mounting separate shelving tracks and all that. Lol
Btw, I see videos on the slide-out shelves that I can mount my originals doors too, but haven't found anyone that sells them.

Last edited:
That would be cool Dave. I have taken these doors off 3 times in the past to hopefully just fix the lazy susan to no avail. It would be nice to just get a setup I can mount to the bottom of the cabinet instead of mounting separate shelving tracks and all that. Lol
Btw, I see videos on the slide-out shelves that I can mount my originals doors too, but haven't found anyone that sells them.
I feel your pain! Your cabinets look about the same vintage as the one's we have. Inset Lazy Susan and all. Like yours, our house was built in the 80's too. It's been a real joy so far. None of the appliances are today's standard sizes so I've always had to fiddle around to get things to fit whenever something craps out. Our dishwasher went out a few years ago and so far I still haven't replaced it. Now our built-in oven is starting to go bad - giving us error codes instead of pre-heating every once in a while. - Dave

I feel your pain! Your cabinets look about the same vintage as the one's we have. Inset Lazy Susan and all. Like yours, our house was built in the 80's too. It's been a real joy so far. None of the appliances are today's standard sizes so I've always had to fiddle around to get things to fit whenever something craps out. Our dishwasher went out a few years ago and so far I still haven't replaced it. Now our built-in oven is starting to go bad - giving us error codes instead of pre-heating every once in a while. - Dave
Ya, but I'll tell ya, I love the build quality. We bought this house almost 2 years ago. It's a 2-story house. Very well insulated, even the garage. Has commercial grade wiring at 200 amps. Solid wood throughout the house. We even like the a lot of the old light fixtures. Been very pleased with our purchase.

Ya I did that also. What you are showing is basically the majority of choices. I just need to figure out how I want to do it.
My brother is going through this also. He wants to redo his kitchen and he too has a corner cabinet that he can not change. I believe he is leaning toward the piano hinged door with 2 lazy Susan's shelves that the height is interchangeable.

My link that was "One Example" is what you are describing.

There just is no easy fix unless you replace what is there with the same thing. that way you are only working from the front edge to place a swing pole with the rotating shelves attached.
It just sucks to be on your hands and knees trying to work in a deep recessed space.

There just is no easy fix unless you replace what is there with the same thing. that way you are only working from the front edge to place a swing pole with the rotating shelves attached.
It just sucks to be on your hands and knees trying to work in a deep recessed space.
Soo true! Especially since I have a bad knee. Lol

I dont know if you've figured out what you are going to do about the corner cabinet situation but I stumbled upon something that might be just the thing for you.

Vevor Corner Cabinet Insert

Check out the video on the webpage.
That's pretty cool! I'm almost leaning to just double hinging the doors, taking the susan out, and just give the wife a place for her large kitchen appliances. I think that is going to be the cheapest and physically easier thing to do. Lol
1000008225.jpg

Back
Top Bottom