New Bowl Timber Coming

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mortalis

My neighbor is having a 30' ish Silver Maple taken down today. He has graciously agreed to allow me to have some logs. I've never turned Silver Maple. Hopefully like all other Maples it will have some grain patterns in the logs. I instructed the Tree Removal team that I would like several logs from 10" to 24" diameter and length a bit longer than the diameter.

Should be interesting. Sure is exciting.

Attachments

• Silver Maple.jpg
    Silver Maple.jpg
    608.6 KB · Views: 21
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Here is what I received from the downing of the Silver Maple.
My space is limited and I have quite a few pieces of timber from past removals so I kept the request fairly small.
1st picture is of the lot I received.
2nd picture are the three I requested that are 20' to 24" in diameter
3rd picture is what I can only imagine will the prizes of the lot.

Attachments

• The Haul.jpg
    The Haul.jpg
    490.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 24in x 24in.jpg
    24in x 24in.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 36
  • The 2 prizes of the lot.jpg
    The 2 prizes of the lot.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 30
I have one coming down when the weather cools. Found it isn't a desirable tree/shrub. Roots go everywhere!
Has anyone turned silver maple before? I was thinking about contacting the local woodturning club.

I have some experience with silver maple. It tends to be lighter in color, but nice. Often times real nice figure. Turning it green is (to me) a pleasurable experience. I twice turn almost everything I do so my suggestion is to turn to a basic shape you're looking for but leave the walls about 10% of the bowl diameter. Then coat it with something to slow down the drying process. I use anchor seal. Then put it away for AT LEAST 6 months. I label a paper bag (species, date, diam, etc) and hang it in the rafters of my shop. When I take it down I'll weigh it weekly until the weight loss is zero or very small. Next spring/summer should be even more fun.
One other thing: If you're doing a live edge bowl, turn it to final thickness, sand and let it sit for a couple weeks. Then sand and finish. I don't notice the warping, etc with a live edge bowl.

I have some experience with silver maple. It tends to be lighter in color, but nice. Often times real nice figure. Turning it green is (to me) a pleasurable experience. I twice turn almost everything I do so my suggestion is to turn to a basic shape you're looking for but leave the walls about 10% of the bowl diameter. Then coat it with something to slow down the drying process. I use anchor seal. Then put it away for AT LEAST 6 months. I label a paper bag (species, date, diam, etc) and hang it in the rafters of my shop. When I take it down I'll weigh it weekly until the weight loss is zero or very small. Next spring/summer should be even more fun.
One other thing: If you're doing a live edge bowl, turn it to final thickness, sand and let it sit for a couple weeks. Then sand and finish. I don't notice the warping, etc with a live edge bowl.
Ted, thanks for the info. I'll contact the local woodturing club and see if they would be interested in a stash of silver maple. Will use your recommendations if it's OK.

Back
Top Bottom