Need help on a ring.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrclint

Wife asked me to make her a ring. She bought everything and this evening I tried. ring hole turned out great, so I super glue the ring insert in by super glueing wood then I pushed insert in, then finished sanding and use super glue finish, turned out really nice until I removed from pen mandrel the inside insert was covered with super so we took turns scraping glue out with a blade screw driver and now has sharp edges. The wood I made it with was goncalo alves I'll attach a picture I hope someone will help and tell me best way to glue insert. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5657.jpeg
    IMG_5657.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 38
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have made a number of rings. The CA bond will eventually fail. I know from experience. Instead use a good quality 5 minute epoxy. Any excess can easily be scrapped off using a sharp box cutter blade, without damaging the insert. Good luck

I have made a number of rings. The CA bond will eventually fail. I know from experience. Instead use a good quality 5 minute epoxy. Any excess can easily be scrapped off using a sharp box cutter blade, without damaging the insert. Good luck
Good idea. I wipe off epoxy with acetone when I use it.
Just up the road from you.

Would it be possible to line the metal ring with tape to keep glue from accumulating on it? Only made one ring so far but find this topic interesting.

I tried CA glue on my rings but due to problems related to the post, I switched to 5-minute epoxy. Problem solved!

And I only make acrylic rings as the wooden ones lost their luster over time.

Attachments

• Mary Ann    Feb 2020  05  Finished size 7 Ring in Red HC Pine Cone acrylic.jpg
    Mary Ann Feb 2020 05 Finished size 7 Ring in Red HC Pine Cone acrylic.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 12
Back
Top Bottom