My First Pine Cone blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

I picked up some pine cones under some trees in the neighborhood, dried them in my oven, then cast them in Alumilite clear slow.

I used 3 different shades of green (Key-Lime, Harmony, and Department of Defense). I was quite happy with how they turned out. I have a blank prepped for turning, which I hope to do tonight.

thumbnail_IMG_6467.jpg

PS - It's good to be able to join the forums again after almost 2 weeks out of commission. Something wonky with my PC, but I cleared everything, rebooted, signed out/in, etc. and was finally able to enter text in the text box.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Add me to the list of anxious members waiting to see one of them turned. I have lots of pinecones in various sizes in my yard, but I haven't cast any of them. I assumed I would need to stabilize them first and stabilizing is way down on my list of things I enjoy doing, but if all I need to do is dry them out really well, hmmm...... - Dave

Add me to the list of anxious members waiting to see one of them turned. I have lots of pinecones in various sizes in my yard, but I haven't cast any of them. I assumed I would need to stabilize them first and stabilizing is way down on my list of things I enjoy doing, but if all I need to do is dry them out really well, hmmm...... - Dave
Thanks Dave - I did not stabilize these pine cones. I did dry them in a toaster oven for about 5 hours at 250F. I chose not to stabilize them because they were pretty woody/firm, as-is. These pine cones came from a long needle pine,

I also have some pine cones from a Blue Spruce that have much thinner "blades" - they are much less rigid, so I did stabilize them to see if they got a little stiffer with the cactus juice. I have not cast them yet.

Back
Top Bottom